MBP now or later

K

kavinderd

I want to get a mbp, butI keep hearing the new line up will arrive in early sept to 16th sept. If the mac book pro gets a merom chip, will they also upgrade the graphics. And for an application like final cut , maya or after effects will a core 2duo be that much better than a core duo?

OP
M

Mundaine

Wait if you can, but it's all about buying the notebook when YOU need it. Not when the "next" one comes out. If you keep thinking with that idealogy, you will always be waiting. The technology market moves fast, and consumers can't hesitate.

I also wonder how much hotter the merom will get...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Aluminium Macbook 2.4 Ghz 4GB RAM, SSD 24" Samsung Display, iPhone 4, iPad 2
They're supposed to require less power, so they might well be cooler.

I'd wait until the Macexpo (starts 12th of September) to see what is announced.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.0 GHz Macbook Pro, 1.5 GB RAM.....1.83 GHz Macbook 1 GB RAM
not worth the wait IMO

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Unibody MBP 2.4 GHz C2D/27" Core i7 iMac
I would wait. ;)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook
kavinderd said:
I want to get a mbp, but I keep hearing the new line up will arrive ....
To be honest, you are going to hear things like that no matter when you are thinking of buying a new Mac. :black:

Since an Expo is so near, it might be smarter to wait this time if you can. It is only a couple of weeks.

Any other time I would advise someone to get the Mac when they need it or when they want it and are able to afford it.

If you are one of those types who is into rumors and content to constantly wait, there are always going to be rumblings and rumors about what is supposedly coming out next. If you do wait and wait and wait, more often than not you are going to be disappointed as the vast majority of those rumors are unfounded and simply not true...

...and still won't have a Mac. :black:

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" Powerbook G4 • 24" iMac • iPhone 3Gs
In 2009 I heard they're coming out with a MacBookPro that will be able to transport you back and forth through time.

I'd wait for that one.

Point: There's always going to be something better around the corner. Just buy what you want and don't fall into buyer's remorse.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook
surfwax95 said:
In 2009 I heard they're coming out with a MacBookPro that will be able to transport you back and forth through time.

I'd wait for that one.

Point: There's always going to be something better around the corner. Just buy what you want and don't fall into buyer's remorse.
I am going to wait for this one:
aglite18.jpg

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 20in 2.0GHZ Intel Core Duo 2GB Ram
I am quite sure the new MBP will run the Core 2 Duo Centrino chip

So it will run a lot cooler then the regular Merom chip.

OP
L

litespeed59

Personally, I opted to buy a Core Duo MacBook Pro now rather than be an early adopter when the Core2 MBPs come out. Basically, I did enough research to realize that being an early adopter isn't always a good thing.

I'm sure the Core2 MBPs will be better performers ... but at some point you have to stop waiting for the next best thing, and take the plunge.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" iMac 2.16 ghz. 1 gb ram. 250 GB HDD. Screamer! 2gb ipod nano. 17 in powerbook G4 1.67/1 Gb/120gb
I would wait at this point. Core 2 Duo we know is easily upgradeable and will most likely come soon. I dont believe in waiting forever but I think this is worth waiting for.

Reaction score
Indiana; there's more than just corn here
Your Mac's Specs
Powerbook G4 1.67 MHz
Facts: Merom performs better while delivering better battery life. good engineering if you ask me. However, from what I understand its not a huge jump in performance.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Future C2D MBP owner, hopefully
First post

This is my first post. I have been reading a lot on the new Merom chip the last couple of weeks. Really, it should be out in the next two weeks. When is a pretty big debate and really no one knows. But, unless Apple wants to fall behind other manufatures, they will release it soon. And they won’t do that to themselves. Here is a link talking about the new processor. I have just recently acquired the funds to buy a new MBP and I was all ready to until I saw the rumors about the new C2D. I am going to get one as soon as they are released. There may also be a case redesign for the MBP. It should only be a few more weeks at most. Just wait and see. Unless you need it now, just wait.

Article

Reaction score
My first post as well.

That was a good article. I have a 2.0Ghz MBP, I was wondering if this new chip would fit on my motherboard? I did a wee bit of looking around to an answer (not on this site, though) and didn't find much, so I figured I would ask here.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Stuff
It depends IF the new MB comes out during the expo. But Apple has a tendency to keep their new products on the downlow so I'd still get one if I need it. If I didn't I would just wait till the expo and see the results.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Future C2D MBP owner, hopefully
dEAGLE said:
My first post as well.

That was a good article. I have a 2.0Ghz MBP, I was wondering if this new chip would fit on my motherboard? I did a wee bit of looking around to an answer (not on this site, though) and didn't find much, so I figured I would ask here.

No, unfortunatly you can not replace the chips in the Apple laptops. The chips are soldered into place and require replacing the lagic board as well. It is not this way in some Apple desktops, however. The chips can be replaced in some of those. Not sure which ones though.

OP
T

topgun072003

I'd wait until the 12th. I have my friend waiting right now, because he wants to get a new mbp. Andrew F, where did you read about the new enclosers? I haven't heard a thing about that.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.0ghz Intel Dual Core 13" Macbook, 2gb RAM, 80GB HD, Smartdisk, etc.; 30gb iPod Video
Will the new chips be put in the regular Macbook as well?

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.