What Apple Should Do To Support Windows On Mac

Reaction score
I just recently purchased a MacBook, and im loving it. But i want to run Windows on it. So i tried Parallels, it didnt run my games, but it did everything else well. Then i tried Boot Camp, it ran some games, but the video driver had problems, so not all games. Plus i had to reboot it every time. Then i downloaded the Crossover for Mac Beta, and it runs 1 game i really like, but others not so much. But it gets the job done perfectly.
Currently there are 3 options, non perfect, but knowing Apple, you gotta bet they have a trick up their sleeve.
The best thing for Apple to do is the following, support all 3 options, and intergrate them. Imagine, setting up Windows XP (or Vista if it comes out) through in Parallels, install everything you need, drivers, software, etc. Make an image. Then thru Boot Camp, install it on a Partition. Have a native copy, and let Parallels use that native copy as a virtual machine. So when you want to run Microsoft Outlook for work, you open Parallels. And when you want to run Far Cry shut down Parallels. Restart into Windows, and all of your changes will be saved from before.
Perfect right? Not yet. What Apple can furthur do is setup Crossover to be able to tap into the Program Files in the Windows partition, detect which applications are supported, and then run them, nativly, in Mac OS X.
That is a beautiful 3 prong Approach. That will certainly cement Mac OS X as a viable alternative to Windows, but just in case, have Windows available in "Classic Mode".

The best thing for Apple to do is to aquire these companies. Parallels and CrossOver.
There is one more company that no one seems to be mentioning, Cedega. This is a special implementation of Wine, geared towards games. Now if Apple can Aquire this company as well. And Optimize all 4 products, and combine them into 1. You have one kick Mac with Windows capabilities. Plus, after windows vista ships, XP prices will fall like crazy. Imagine Apple selling Windows XP for $30 on Apple.com.
But above all, Apple really needs to aquire Parallels, if not for the desktop, for the Server. Server virtualization on the Mac, so that you can run Mac OS X, Windows Server, Linux, Solaris, BSD, NetWare, etc. Will make Apple Server the server of choice. Elegant and usable, but still powerful when need be.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac G5
Quick question, what games are you playing? It could be your machine specs and not Boot Camp. If I can remember correctly the Mac Book has integrated graphics, not ideal for games. I think it has 128MB Vram running in windows, however it shares processing power with the CPU making the overall performance low. Therefore, if you are trying to play CS:Source, BF2/2142, etc. it's not going to play nice, in fact I don't think BF2/2142 will run at all unless you have a supported video card with at least 256MB of V RAM.

Tell me what games you play and I'll bet it's a hardware problem.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac G5
Hmm... not familiar with that. Is it a recent game?

A

Anti-Wack

All I used was Boot Camp and I can play games fine such as Half-Life 2 and Counter Strike: Source. In fact, my MBP actually runs WinXP better than my old pc. IMHO, Boot Camp does a fine job all by itself.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.