core 2 DUO for MacBook or MacBook Pro ?

B

bubloo

newbie.. first mac purchase Q ?

This is my first mac-purchase. I am planning to buy a mac-pro and during some research I ran into this http://buyersguide.macrumors.com/ . It was mentioned not to buy PRO as there is going to be updated soon. Apple has a good incentive to buy now (new printer, new ipod).

Does any one know when the new PRO might hit the market. ? Besides the Merom chip, is there anything else thats going to change in the model. ? I found the current PRO's to be extremely hot at the store, and there was no way someone can put them in lap and work. I might be wrong but that was my initial opinion..

Also, is there a chance that mac-book getting release with displays bigger than they have now (13.x) ?? Thanks for your help. I look forward to be a part of the forum.. :confused:

rman

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14in MacBook Pro M1 Max 32GB 2TB
macrumors does not have enough historical data on the Intel Macs. So I don't believe they can make a good guess at this time. Apple has made a major paradigm shift, when they started using the Intel processor. So comparing upgrade patterns with the old PPC processor, I don't think will work here.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.0 GHz Macbook Pro, 1.5 GB RAM.....1.83 GHz Macbook 1 GB RAM
The new chip is really not that big of a deal in my opinion. They could be released next week, or in 3 months....it's hard to tell....I wouldnt wait for it. As for other changes.....as I understand, the MBP will remain exactly the same. My MBP only gets very warm under very intense work.....my macbook is much hotter. As for a larger screen on a macbook....my guess is never, because it would steal business from the MBP line.

OP
B

bubloo

Does anyone know if core 2 duo makes sense only for MBP's or will apple be shipping in MacBook also ?. I am planning to buy a mac for the first time.. Just wanted to get an idea if Merom was only meant for MBP's ?

If i delay my purchase i.e after sept 16th for a macbook-core 2 duo, i might have to miss my nano and printer. Thanks for your comments. :confused:

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook
bubloo said:
Does anyone know if core 2 duo makes sense only for MBP's or will apple be shipping in MacBook also ?. I am planning to buy a mac for the first time.. Just wanted to get an idea if Merom was only meant for MBP's ?

If i delay my purchase i.e after sept 16th for a macbook-core 2 duo, i might have to miss my nano and printer. Thanks for your comments. :confused:
Currently, neither notebook has the Core 2 Duo. Also, there is no confirmation that either one will have the Core 2 Duo. So, as of right now, the Core 2 Duo isn't meant for either notebook series.
That being said, nobody can effectively answer that question for you right now. The best you can do is wait for the upcoming Expo and see if any update is announced if you are more concerned with a processor update.

My two cents, you seem to want the iPod and printer deal more, so just get your Mac now before you miss out on that deal. There are no guarantees that a processor update is coming, so if you wait and there is no update to the processor... then you will lose out twice... no Core 2 Duo and no iPod/printer deal.

:black:

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook
NOTE: Merged threads as they asked essentially the same questions by the same original poster.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 20in 2.0GHZ Intel Core Duo 2GB Ram
Personally, I believe that the Core 2 Duo Centrino will be put into the MBP and the MacBook will be left alone until sometime in November when it will get the chip just before the Christmas rush.

The Centrino will make a difference as it will offer more power per watt giving a cooler chip and better battery time.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.