Yet another iBook vs PowerBook query

E

elanthis

Hi all,

I'm getting ready to buy a new laptop, but am having a hard time deciding between a PowerBook and an iBook. It would be a no brainer if it wasn't for the $700 difference in price between the two models I'm considering. ;-)

Most of my needs for the machine are very light. I don't do much gaming (most of which I do is either done on a GameCube or a PC), so the laptop will mostly be used for lounging around at home browsing the web, doing schoolwork, listening to iTunes purchased music and watching movies. The real kicker, however, is that I do plan on doing a lot of programming on the machine, altho it won't be my main development machine (I'd rather stick with a desktop with bigger cache and faster hard-disks when possible).

The iBook I'm looking at is the 14" 933mhz model, with 128MB of RAM (I'll buy and install an upgrade on my own), 40GB hard-disk, combo-drive, and airport extreme. I've heard these get kind of dirty and are hard to clean, and the limit of 1024x768 is slightly unappealing (tho that's no worse than my current 14.1" laptop with the same max res).

The PowerBook I'm looking at is the 15.2" 1ghz model, 256MB of RAM (again, I'll upgrade on my own), 60GB disk, and airport extreme. I'm also looking at the slightly faster 1.25ghz model, with an unfortunate minimum of 512MB of RAM (too expensive from Apple), and otherwise the same specs as the first PowerBook. (I downgraded from the superdrive and downgraded to the 60gb disk.) The second PowerBook will cost yet an additional $200. The second model also has the backlit keyboard.

I'm wondering if, for my needs, do I really *need* the PowerBook? For movies, is the 1024x768 resolution good enough? (I buy wide-screen DVDs whenever possible.) For developers - does the 1ghz (or even 1.25 ghz) processor make enough of a difference to be worth that much money? Also, are the additional benefits of the PowerBook worth the increases size and weight and decreased battery life? Just how much difference *is* there in battery life? For someone who wants to avoid wires as much as possible, would the longer battery life make a noticable difference?

Again, this laptop won't be my main machine. Most of my time with a computer will be at work (with a box that I wouldn't dream of replacing with a laptop from any manufacturer) or at my home desktop (again, much better than any laptop from any manufacturer). The laptop is likely to go stretches of several days or more without seeing any use at all.

Thanks all!

OP
F

Fomer

As a powerbook owner and someone who as used their friends ibook on countless times, I feel I could answer this.

1024x768 is standard universal size, so yeah its fine. The Ibook has a sharp display!

The boost in speed is a difference, of course. But with as minimal time you'll be putting this bad-boy to use I'd say no you don't need it.

Powerbook is slightly more powerful, at least from point of view. Powerbook shows dirt and sweat stains... not a positive. However the PB is a sinch to clean, but easier dirt easier clean just means your cleaning more.

A longer battery life will absolutly make a difference, if wishing to avoid wires. Alternative.... buy a spare battery. Otherwise I don't think it matters if your not video-editing or what not your batterylife should stay up there if your just going to have a few small apps and the browser open. Charging laptops does become a pain. But you'll get used to it.

As a computer you stated would not be pushed to its full extint and just used for browsing not even your main home computer. I would save yourself 700 bucks for ram and external hd (if you want one) or whatever.

Ibook should more than suit your needs.

OP
E

elanthis

Hmm, alright. Thank you. :) I think I'll make one stop over at CompUSA (Apple stores are too far away, especially in the weather we've been having lately) to take look before placing my order. Thanks for your input!

OP
F

FieldDoc

iBook gets another vote. I am a recent switcher to Apple, having come from a P4 2.8Ghz IBM lappy I am more than happy with the power of my 14" iBook and you just can't beat the battery life on these things!

Also, don't be too taken by the look of the PBs, I feel the IBs look great too - especially since the G4 upgrade with the change to a matt white finish.

OP
S

supenguin

I just got an ibook g3 and am quite happy with it. I got the 12" and the screen looks great, performance is snappy. Of course this coming from someone who is upgrading from an Pentium 3 866 running Windows XP.

OP
G

ghenrytaylor

The iBook gets my vote too. I recenyly gave up a pent II 433 for a used 700 iBook. Best move I've made. Do get the AppleCare, and good luck.

OP
G

gitboxnat

elanthis said:
Hi all,

I'm getting ready to buy a new laptop, but am having a hard time deciding between a PowerBook and an iBook. It would be a no brainer if it wasn't for the $700 difference in price between the two models I'm considering. ;-)

Most of my needs for the machine are very light. I don't do much gaming (most of which I do is either done on a GameCube or a PC), so the laptop will mostly be used for lounging around at home browsing the web, doing schoolwork, listening to iTunes purchased music and watching movies. The real kicker, however, is that I do plan on doing a lot of programming on the machine, altho it won't be my main development machine (I'd rather stick with a desktop with bigger cache and faster hard-disks when possible).

The iBook I'm looking at is the 14" 933mhz model, with 128MB of RAM (I'll buy and install an upgrade on my own), 40GB hard-disk, combo-drive, and airport extreme. I've heard these get kind of dirty and are hard to clean, and the limit of 1024x768 is slightly unappealing (tho that's no worse than my current 14.1" laptop with the same max res).

The PowerBook I'm looking at is the 15.2" 1ghz model, 256MB of RAM (again, I'll upgrade on my own), 60GB disk, and airport extreme. I'm also looking at the slightly faster 1.25ghz model, with an unfortunate minimum of 512MB of RAM (too expensive from Apple), and otherwise the same specs as the first PowerBook. (I downgraded from the superdrive and downgraded to the 60gb disk.) The second PowerBook will cost yet an additional $200. The second model also has the backlit keyboard.

I'm wondering if, for my needs, do I really *need* the PowerBook? For movies, is the 1024x768 resolution good enough? (I buy wide-screen DVDs whenever possible.) For developers - does the 1ghz (or even 1.25 ghz) processor make enough of a difference to be worth that much money? Also, are the additional benefits of the PowerBook worth the increases size and weight and decreased battery life? Just how much difference *is* there in battery life? For someone who wants to avoid wires as much as possible, would the longer battery life make a noticable difference?

Again, this laptop won't be my main machine. Most of my time with a computer will be at work (with a box that I wouldn't dream of replacing with a laptop from any manufacturer) or at my home desktop (again, much better than any laptop from any manufacturer). The laptop is likely to go stretches of several days or more without seeing any use at all.

Thanks all!

get iBOOK.

OP
T

TylerMoney

I got the powerbook, cause I'll need that extra boost in power for projects and what not.....and also cause aluminium is sexy...but for what you need, I'm thinking the ibook would be perfect...and the new ones look even snazier than the old.

OP
H

Haylcron

I warn you, I got my powerbook solely for programming (the video card in my linux box fried itself and I needed a replacement) and I didn't expect to push it hard. And while I'm sure an ibook would have sufficed, I wanted all the video output options on the powerbook. Also, I know you say nothing will replace your main machines, but if they are windows or even linux, I wouldn't be so sure. I'm not one to bash windows, in fact I love windows and before I got the powerbook, I felt nothing could touch my windows XP... and now, I'm in love with OS X... my laptop has replaced my desktop.

ok, so my rant is saying, buy more than you think you'll need b/c you might be surprised. It's always better to look back and say well, I got too much as opposed to I wish this thing was faster.

I vote powerbook.

OP
V

VastDeathmaster

I would go for the Powerbook if you can. All the cables plug into the back. In my opinion if you are going to drop a laptop, it will land on its side first. The powerbook has all its connections in back and its slot loading cd at the front.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Pro 2.6ghz Quad Xeon, 23" Cinema
Um, My powerbook does not have a single plug in the back. They're all on the side.

rman

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14in MacBook Pro M1 Max 32GB 2TB
gort said:
Um, My powerbook does not have a single plug in the back. They're all on the side.

The older ones like mine have the plugs in the back. The newer ones are on the side like yours.

OP
C

Cloudane

I picked a powerbook because:

* You can plug a decent monitor in and it'll do a decent resolution and optional dual-display mode (the iBooks only mirror the display that's on the LCD) - I use it as a desktop sometimes so this was a major influence.

* I'm a resident in Second Life, which needs a fairly decent graphics card. The ability to be in the world from anywhere in the house very much appealed to me, even though it's still pretty slow, as a good portable when I can't be arsed sitting in front of the big PC.

* I prefer the aluminium finish (even though thanks to a friend's cat it has a couple of very minor scratches... dunno how the iBook would have held out)

* Generally that little bit faster. I use it for work (as a charity, they rely on steam-driven donated PCs) as well as personal use, so the extra response seemed a worthy investment.

From what you said I'd imagine the iBook is ideal whilst spending the money you saved on the Powerbook on upgrades. On the other hand if any of the above catch your eye (particularly the issue of external monitors, if the resolution bothers you... remember you're *permanently* stuck with 1024x768 which is what convinved me to get the PB) then I'd be thinking towards the Powerbook.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP, 2.4Ghz, 4GB ram, 160Gig hd, superdrive
if i were you, i would get an ibook.. i purchased an ibook 2 months ago... Haven't looked back since i had it.. I used PC's all my life untill 2 months ago.. I just wish that i could have tried mac's sooner cause i would have goon for the powerbook.. i don't really like the case on my ibook.. it kinds of looks like its all scrached up and all but i think i'll just wait a few years before i purchase an powerbook..

Another vote for teh ibook..

OP
M

MoltenLava

Do you see the pattern? All the iBook owners would prefer iBook, and the Powerbook owners say Powerbook. That's for obvious reason. The bottom line is, you'll be satisfied whichever one you get.

I have both. 12" 800Mhz G4 iBook and 15" 1.3GHz Powerbook. Not a fair comparison, yes. I prefer iBook though, although marginally now. I personally like the iBook design better. Plus it's easier on my lap due to lighter weight. The videocard on my iBook, Radeon 9200, is pretty slow. No, I don't even play games. It feels slow even using the web browsers. It doesn't bother me THAT much, so I still prefer using my iBook.

OP
P

PinkPhishDoors

MoltenLava said:
Do you see the pattern? All the iBook owners would prefer iBook, and the Powerbook owners say Powerbook. That's for obvious reason. The bottom line is, you'll be satisfied whichever one you get.

I have both. 12" 800Mhz G4 iBook and 15" 1.3GHz Powerbook. Not a fair comparison, yes. I prefer iBook though, although marginally now. I personally like the iBook design better. Plus it's easier on my lap due to lighter weight. The videocard on my iBook, Radeon 9200, is pretty slow. No, I don't even play games. It feels slow even using the web browsers. It doesn't bother me THAT much, so I still prefer using my iBook.

Exactly!!!!

OP
V

VastDeathmaster

doh!

rman said:
The older ones like mine have the plugs in the back. The newer ones are on the side like yours.

:eek:
Hmmff. I thought having all the plugs in the back a good design idea and a reason why I wish I bought a Powerbook instead of the dang iBook.

Now they've moved the cables to the side? Then I guess it comes down to:
Do you like White Plastic or do you like Brushed aluminium.

You know, the other good thing about the iBook is the ability to take it apart and remove the White color (I've seen some mods where people tint the plastic blue or red or both)

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.