Which memory and hard drive?

Reaction score
I am buying a macbook shortly and definitely want 2 gigs of RAM and likely a 120 gig hard drive. I've heard never to get the RAM from apple because of cost. Is the same true for the hard drive?
I'm a 'switcher' from the windows world so I'm new to this. How hard is it to upgrade memory and hard drive? is there simply a slot to load the memory into? Physically I imagine the hard drive is not that hard to replace but how hard it is then to set up with MacOS X? Would I save a lot by doing the hard drive on my own?
Most of all, when I look for memory and a hard drive what do I look for brand wise or technology wise? Is it the same as on a PC?
Last, in case I do go with a Macbook Pro instead do they use the same memory and hard drives?

A

amoayeri

markw10 said:
I am buying a macbook shortly and definitely want 2 gigs of RAM and likely a 120 gig hard drive. I've heard never to get the RAM from apple because of cost. Is the same true for the hard drive?
I'm a 'switcher' from the windows world so I'm new to this. How hard is it to upgrade memory and hard drive? is there simply a slot to load the memory into? Physically I imagine the hard drive is not that hard to replace but how hard it is then to set up with MacOS X? Would I save a lot by doing the hard drive on my own?
Most of all, when I look for memory and a hard drive what do I look for brand wise or technology wise? Is it the same as on a PC?
Last, in case I do go with a Macbook Pro instead do they use the same memory and hard drives?

you are better off with Apple's rams because I heard some haveing heat issues with aftermarket rams. but again its your choice. about the hard drive you should open the laptop. there is no slot what so ever. unless you are extremely good with these things I wouldn't recomenned it. However, upgarding the ram is quite easy.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Aluminium Macbook 2.4 Ghz 4GB RAM, SSD 24" Samsung Display, iPhone 4, iPad 2
The harddrive and RAM are both very easy to upgrade, they both sit have access bays that sit near each other.

I'd either get the 80GB drive from apple and upgrade later, or go for the 60GB drive and upgrade it now. (I went for the 80, as it's enough for the time being and is the least expensive upgrade over the stock 60GB drive).

D

dabomb1188

i have never heard of any problems with aftermarket ram, i used patriot ram to upgrade my laptops and it runs GREAT

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.