random shutdowns

S

sevenkay

Ok. I've had my macbook almost a month. I got it on tax-free weekend and it came with the free iPod. The iPod was dead straight out of the box. I had to get it replaced. Now, my macbook has been randomly shutting down. It seems to happen sometime after it comes out of sleep mode. It is not hot at all. I googled and searched the forums, saw that it could be my logic board, but I really cannot afford the time to send it off to get it fixed. Is there anything I can do?

For the record, I have no after-market add-ons or anything like that.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" iMac C2D 2.16ghz, 13" MacBook 2.0ghz, 60gb iPod vid, 1gb nano
Nothing you can really do but ship it out to apple

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook
sevenkay said:
I googled and searched the forums, saw that it could be my logic board, but I really cannot afford the time to send it off to get it fixed. Is there anything I can do?
Can you afford the inconvenience of having it shut down randomly? I would strongly suggest sending it out for service, as that is likely your best and only option. Anything else would only chalk up to a "quick fix" and won't really solve your issue. Give Apple the chance to repair it for you.
:black:

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro | LED Cinema Display | iPhone 4 | iPad 2
No, they'll only exchange within 14 days I think. It's really fast turnaround to send it out and get it fixed, just like 3 days normally.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac G5
schweb said:
No, they'll only exchange within 14 days I think. It's really fast turnaround to send it out and get it fixed, just like 3 days normally.

I think when he refers to "having it replaced", he's talking about AppleCare.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook
DCraver said:
I think when he refers to "having it replaced", he's talking about AppleCare.
And we are all talking about AppleCare as well, ;) :black:

AppleCare will attempt to repair first, then replace. It is almost unheard of to have a computer replaced right off the bat. Apple is almost always going to repair it first.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac G5
Why did he say that they will only exchange within 14 days. AppleCare goes for a year standard, 3 if you buy it.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" iMac C2D 2.16ghz, 13" MacBook 2.0ghz, 60gb iPod vid, 1gb nano
If it is giving you problems in the first two weeks you can skip the repairs and just get a new one

Reaction score
D3v1L80Y said:
And we are all talking about AppleCare as well, ;) :black:

AppleCare will attempt to repair first, then replace. It is almost unheard of to have a computer replaced right off the bat. Apple is almost always going to repair it first.

Just an FYI - my Mac Mini died within the first week (I got to use it for 5 days)...Apple replaced it, but it took almost 2 weeks because they wouldn't release the replacement until they got proof that I shipped the old one back. Instead of having it ready to go, they waited for the shipping proof before they "built" it (was a custom order). That was my only complaint (making me wait). They should have shipped it immediately and charged my credit card if they didn't get the failed system within a certain timeframe.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.