Cheap ipod Case Damaged My ipod.

T

thetechguru

i went to the store about 2 weeks ago, and i saw they had a solid plastic case, and i'm not talking rubber-ish soft plastic. i'm talking a solid plastic case. it was on sale for about $4-5 US (it was a no-name brand). i took it home and i grabbed my ipod and and started to slide it in to the case. it was a tight fit. so i pushed it softly in. the plastic of the case was highly scratched so i could not see the screen clear(i couldn't tell in the store). i pulled out my ipod and was STUNNED... the case was so tight, that the scratch marks pushed in to the screen and put a HUGE scrach on my screen and scroll wheel. i then thought "maybe it was an old Scratch i didn't notice" so i put the ipod back in the case and removed it... it now had around 7 HUGE scratchs across the screen and body of my ipod. so just as a warning. don't buy Hard Case's under $10 and if you do make sure it's a name brand, cause if it was a cheap soft case it could do no damage, so be careful when buying hard cases.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" iMac C2D 2.16ghz, 13" MacBook 2.0ghz, 60gb iPod vid, 1gb nano
You could have also purchased a case for a different capacity iPod which would have been smaller

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac G5
I have a hard case for my nano (Agent 18) and it specifically states that you do not slide the iPod in and that you open the case in halves like it is supposed to be done and put the iPod in that way. It is kind of obvious seeing as how there are two halves... <_<

Edit: Mine was under $10 and it's the best case I've ever had.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Pro 8x3.0ghz 12gb ram 8800GT , MBP 2.16 2GB Ram 17 inch.
Thanks for the advice, I will stick with softer cases.

Jem

Reaction score
Ahhh ya can't win with these cases... or should that be, you can't win with 5G iPods. I heard the Capdase silicone case with hard screen protector was the best thing to get so looked out for one and avoided all the cheap stuff.

About a month after getting it I pulled the iPod (in its case) out of my pocket and the screen protector slipped a little (it's held in place by a ridge around the silicone). As I adjusted it I noticed a bit of grit had got between the screen protector and the screen itself causing a 1cm long scratch across the screen... niiiiiice

Anyone got a good way of removing these marks?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Aluminium Macbook 2.4 Ghz 4GB RAM, SSD 24" Samsung Display, iPhone 4, iPad 2
I always recommend a stick on plastic foil/shield to protect the entire iPod's surface. I have one on the front and back of my iPod and it's practically invisible.

You're going to get dust and dirt in any case that can scratch the surface, so if you've got scratch-phobia, use a sticky foil first.

Jem

Reaction score
Sounds a good idea... I kept the original plastic sheet stuck on it until I got the case, then reckoned it would be ok and removed it. My goof, I actually thought Apple might produce products that were capable of standing up to tiny dust particles... :(

Shame really, they make lovely looking devices but they age very badly. I had an iRiver H-120 for a couple of years before the iPod and it never looked any different from the day I bought it - I sold it on eBay when I upgraded for very close to the new value of the unit. The iPod couldn't even last a month, it must badly affect their 2nd hand values, who'd want a battered iPod?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Yeah, the original plastic is quite a good temporary protection, the stick-ons are quite a bit thinner and really hardly noticeable though.

OP
T

thetechguru

DCraver said:
I have a hard case for my nano (Agent 18) and it specifically states that you do not slide the iPod in and that you open the case in halves like it is supposed to be done and put the iPod in that way. It is kind of obvious seeing as how there are two halves... <_<

Edit: Mine was under $10 and it's the best case I've ever had.

you don't think i read the manuals? it has a door at the top you slide the ipod in through there. mine is not the same as yours...

Reaction score
plastic shield

Where do you buy the plastic foil/shield?

Aptmunich said:
I always recommend a stick on plastic foil/shield to protect the entire iPod's surface. I have one on the front and back of my iPod and it's practically invisible.

You're going to get dust and dirt in any case that can scratch the surface, so if you've got scratch-phobia, use a sticky foil first.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
At the shop I work at in munich, germany :)

http://www.shieldzone.com/ seems to have similar ones as well if that's too far for you.

OP
L

Logan

I use this rubber one, "Speck products" the casing for the screen went in after you slid the nano into the rubber lining. I actually bought my nano and never took off the plastic lining, just slid the rubber casing on and the plastic sheath, the iPod is still good as new (since even the exposed areas have the plastic). I'm happy. I enjoy the fact I can chuck my ipod around too (drop, etc) and not worry about it. Rubber can be annoying in your pocket though, and it bulks up the nano a bit for you truly slim freaks out there.

Reaction score
I got a case for my second gen iPod touch that is made out of recycled plastic bottles. Best case I've ever owned for get this- $5. The only thing is, I live in the desert, and my pockets had lint when I got the case. So dirt and stuff ended up getting trapped behind the iPod and around the edges of the screen (thankfully I also purchased a really great screen cover that is like smooth as glass). The inside of the back cover has the Apple logo and "iPod" on it now. Long story short, there are pock marks on the back, and the screen covers edges have fine pock marks. Thankfully, it isn't the expensive glass. (Friend dropped hers and shattered the glass completely off on hers). For what, $300 or so on a really great product, there is no way that I'm selling it with those tiny pocks on the back. It makes me sad. :(

I can thankfully say though, the case looks worse than the iPod does (recycled plastic scratches a whole lot easier than the metal on the back and the silicon screen cover on the front). Although, with about 6 or so gigs left out of about 16, the 500mHz ARM runs a little slowly. I'll buy a new iPod touch when it comes with a camera or something completely new.

OP
F

fade

You people kill me... "oh noze!! I gotz scratchz on my iPod"

Who cares? does it still play music?? 9 time out of 10 the people i see listening to music have the player in their pocket anyway. Yeah, it might hamper you ability to watch HD video's but seriously, its a 3 inch (or smaller) screen, you really cant see it that well anyway. I still have my first gen nano, it's scratched to **** but still plays music.

I understand wanting to warn people about a crappy product, but the comments about apple not being able to make a product that can stand up to lint/dust are stupid. I've had several different mp3 players, they've all gotten scratched. So far though, the nano has outlived all of them.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17" MBP C2D 2.8 4GB OS X 10.8 | iPhone 5
Stop reviving 3-4 year old threads!!!!!!!!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.