Recall problems with 20" iMac ??

S

Smethers

In the UK

Trying to complete a replacement iMac order on my Insurance through third party appointed by the Insurers. They placed order on 8th / 9th August and told me delivery 29th August. Chased them up and now they tell me that the iMac is subject to recall ???? and that they will be subject to a further 10 - 14 day delay.

Anybody any ideas - they tell me that they placed their order with Apple Business rather than retail section as they, like any other large company place large quantity orders.

The guy from the third party says that the Sony battery recall may affect the onboard battery ?

Any ideas

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Aluminium Macbook 2.4 Ghz 4GB RAM, SSD 24" Samsung Display, iPhone 4, iPad 2
Haven't heard anything about this... maybe they're just not shipping to business customers because a revision is due...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac Intel Core Duo 2Ghz 20", MacBook Intel Core 2 Duo 2Ghz 13"
Hrmm, first time I heard this as well. I hope this isn't true.

OP
S

Smethers

As soon as I hear anything I'll post it - but does anybody know the current Apple retail delivery times with a few extras (20" imac with 1GB ram, 500gb hd, larger vid card) and if anybody who recently ordered what their delivery times are ?

Apple Store states available in 24 hours !!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac Intel Core Duo 2Ghz 20", MacBook Intel Core 2 Duo 2Ghz 13"
Well I just purchased an iMac, but locally. However I remember seeing the times for delivery when I looked on-line. It was extra 7 days for video memory or memory upgrades.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
There is no recall on any recent iMac that I have seen. Only recent recall is the batteries manufactured by Sony in some of the Laptops.

OP
S

Smethers

Hi - all I can get out of them, both the third party and Apple is that they are having problem with the imac and that despite my 3 week old order I cannot expect delivery for a further 10 to 14 days !

Really starting to get hacked off with Apple - supported them over the last 10 years and loyal Apple users get no information and zero assistance when even trying to give them money for their products !

OP
S

Smethers

So maybe Apple are having real problems with the iMac if it takes 5 weeks to ship one to me !!!!

Funny how many forums you read Apple products are really not any special or reliable anymore !!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Well you nearly only hear about problems on forums, there are less people who take the time to note that something is working the way it's supposed to :)

But I'd still wager that an refresh is in the works... after all the Macexpo is coming up in 12 days and that's where the original iMac G5 was released...
Plus the CoreDuo iMac has been out since January without a speedbump which makes it the intelmac with the longest lifespan yet. (The Macbook Pro's were upgraded in April/May). I find it hard to imagine that they're having problems all of a sudden out of the blue...

OP
S

Smethers

So I could be lucky and get a new bumped speed version !! then all my faith in Apple would be restored !!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
24" iMac
I'm in a similar situation. I just visited my local Apple Campus store. I ordered a 20" iMac two weeks ago. They told me at the time that it would be shipped to them within 3 to 5 days and that I should have it in a week. Today they told me that it won't ship before September 13th and that they would have it a week to a week and a half after that. I hope that the hold up is upgrade related and not just a delay because this is my first dealing with Apple and to go from 1 week to 4-5 weeks is a big difference to me.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Yeah, at work yesterday I found out we haven't received a single shipment of iMac's since I sold the last 20" model around 3 weeks ago...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP C2D 2GB, 24" imac 4GB
Very interesting thread here.

I recall there being an apple convention in paris on the 7th of sept, where people care speculating about a new coreduo2 macbook pro and possibly new ipod, but no one has mentioned the imac, and thinking about it now I guess it would make sense to update the desktops first rather then the laptops. Also, I heard that it could also happen at another apple conevtion on the 21st of sept.

I Guess we will have to wait and see.......

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
24" iMac
If this is a revision related delay is it likely that people with existing orders could receive the revised product? It would be kind of stupid to receive an "old" iMac after the new one has been released, especially if there is no price increase on the new one.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
No, Apple always ships the current machine to customers after announcements, even if you ordered the older model.

OP
S

Smethers

I feel good that I spotted that Apple were holding back business orders and now with all the talk about Core 2 Duo and 23" display to be launched on the 12th Sept !

Managed to cancel my order and I'll wait to see what specifications are revealed ! :miner:

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Al iMac 20" 2.4Ghz Intel Core 2 Duo
I was told there were supply problems and it's 10 days at least here until they arrive, although it may be more.
A certain component shortage is causing problems. I think it's the Superdrive.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
The superdrive? I doubt it, DVD burners are hardly hard to come by these days. The delays were due to the announcements of the Core2Duo based models yesterday.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Al iMac 20" 2.4Ghz Intel Core 2 Duo
An announcement of a tweaked model shouldn't cause delays, especially when they announce they are 'ready to buy now'.

MacWarehouse in the UK are waiting for supplies. It probably wasn't the Superdrive that there was a shortage of, but I was told on the phone there was shortage of a component. I wish I could remember what it was.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
24" iMac
Aptmunich said:
No, Apple always ships the current machine to customers after announcements, even if you ordered the older model.

I just talked to my dealer today and my order was upgraded to the Core 2 Duo and the price was reduced. Fortunately I was able to change the order to a 24" model.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.