• Welcome to the Off-Topic/Schweb's Lounge

In addition to the Mac-Forums Community Guidelines, there are a few things you should pay attention to while in The Lounge.

Lounge Rules
    • If your post belongs in a different forum, please post it there.
    • While this area is for off-topic conversations, that doesn't mean that every conversation will be permitted. The moderators will, at their sole discretion, close or delete any threads which do not serve a beneficial purpose to the community.

Understand that while The Lounge is here as a place to relax and discuss random topics, that doesn't mean we will allow any topic. Topics which are inflammatory, hurtful, or otherwise clash with our Mac-Forums Community Guidelines will be removed.

Advice needed, trying to prove work done on a site/video!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini G4 1.25ghz 1gb Ram
Hi all,

I havn't posted here in a while, but as I know a lot of you are experienced creative industry workers I thought someone may be able to give me some advice in relation to a freelance job I did.

I am trying to extract late payment from a client for a web promo video I produced for an online shop. Foolishly, due to the last minute and rushed nature of this particular job I let the paperwork slide...(I know, I know...lesson already learned on this one!)

Until recently, because of the bad paperwork keeping, the only proof I had that the client had recieved the completed video was the website where it was being hosted/used...soon after I sent the client a payment reminder the website went offline - I thought I was screwed. BUT...it's now come back online and before I send in the collection agent etc, I want to get conclusive proof of the client using the video on the website. I'm looking for advice on the best way to do this. Should I cache the webpage? screen grab it or what? My fear is that they could just say I mocked up the screen grabs myself.

I know I've been foolish on this one, but I'm now in damage limitation mode! Any advice would be very gratefully accepted, cheers!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Aluminium Macbook 2.4 Ghz 4GB RAM, SSD 24" Samsung Display, iPhone 4, iPad 2
I would definitely take a snapshot of the web-page and also have a trusted 3rd party do the same. (Ask a lawyer/doctor/teacher friend - they like that sort of thing in blighty).

Perhaps try to capture the video playing on the web site with something like Snapz Pro or make a low-fi video capture with a regular videocamera. (Your digital camera would probably be able to film it if you don't have a camcorder).

It's really hard to fake a video of a film playing in someone's browser on their computer screen.

OP
I
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Aptmunich said:
Perhaps try to capture the video playing on the web site with something like Snapz Pro or make a low-fi video capture with a regular videocamera. (Your digital camera would probably be able to film it if you don't have a camcorder).

It's really hard to fake a video of a film playing in someone's browser on their computer screen.

That's a wicked idea - Thanks! I don't know why I didn't think of that before, I'll be doing that as soon as I get back tonight!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iBook G4 OSX Tiger
for web-page screenshots i recommend Paparazzi, a helpful app that will take a screenshot of the whole web-page at once

OP
I
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
michaelstumpf said:
for web-page screenshots i recommend Paparazzi, a helpful app that will take a screenshot of the whole web-page at once

I like the look of this app, I'll definately use that in the future. Although in this case I think it will be more useful to evidence this job with conventional screen grabs so you can see it's a real site in a browser etc.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.