Keychain and Firefox

Reaction score
Hi Guys!

switcher for about two weeks now. I bought the Andy Ihnatko book on 10.4. Freakin love it . . . not only does he cover a CRAP load (I am already helping tweak my mac friends who have had their boxes for YEARS and I swapped from Windows less then 2 weeks ago! I rarely laugh out loud at COMPUTER manuals ... ok who am I kidding I do all the time)

I am on the chapter about Keychain now, and I was wondering. Because I am an AVID firefox fan (not that I have anything against safari, I am just used to the finctionality of firefox and it's extensions make it ALL worth it to me) but if I am using firefox, are THOSE passwords going into my Keychain? Or does that only happen with Safari? Just a questions that popped into my head!

Thanks alot!

Mark

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Aluminium Macbook 2.4 Ghz 4GB RAM, SSD 24" Samsung Display, iPhone 4, iPad 2
Firefox doesn't use the keychain, it uses its own password management system (AFAIK).

Camino on the other hand does use the keychain.

If you want to sync your firefox information across multiple machines, check out google's browsersync extension. http://www.google.com/tools/firefox/browsersync/

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13" MacBook (White), 1GB RAM, 80GB HD | iPod Video 30GB| iPod Nano 1GB
If you like FF on Windows, I'd think you'd love Camino; it has practically the same functionality. I, too, just switched.

OP
B
Reaction score
Is there a reason you like Camino more then FF? I have to admit, I found Safari pretty clunky compared to FF, but I also missed all my add ons that I had on my old box.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Aluminium Macbook 2.4 Ghz 4GB RAM, SSD 24" Samsung Display, iPhone 4, iPad 2
Here's my reasons for preferring Camino:

It feels more Mac-like than Firefox, uses the normal OS X interface widgets and integrates with the address book, keychain etc.

Performance is also better.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
Aptmunich, agreed completely. Those are my exact reasons why I prefer Camino over FireFox on OSX. I don't feel Safari is clunky at all and use it most of the time, but Camino is one nice browser and so integrated into OSX.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook 1.83Ghz/512MB RAM
I would prefer the sidebar bookmark browsing on FF...I dont find Safari and Camino have this specific feature so I stay with FF for now.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.