iBook vertical line on screen

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iBook G3
Hi just opened my iBook for the first time in a while. While I was on a vertical line appeared on the screen and it has stayed there through a restart. The line is a light bluish colour and looks to be one pixel wide.
Am I buggered?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro M1 • iPhone 14 Pro • iPad Pro • iMac Retina 27"
Sounds like your LCD is on its way out.

I had a ThinkPad that had the same problem, and a bad LCD was the diagnosis.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Pro 8x3.0ghz 12gb ram 8800GT , MBP 2.16 2GB Ram 17 inch.
it does not have to be the lcd, it could be a connection problem. Bring it to the genious bar and see if they can work it out.. if not you will have to send it back.

How old is the system, and do you have apple care?

Reaction score
sleepyjohn said:
Hi just opened my iBook for the first time in a while. While I was on a vertical line appeared on the screen and it has stayed there through a restart. The line is a light bluish colour and looks to be one pixel wide.
Am I buggered?

Upload a screenshot, it'll help us help you.

Read this

I had a blurry line about 10cms in length which wouldn't go away and Apple replaced the LCD in my iMac G5. I now follow the advice given in the link.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
i dont have no mac's
it could be the video card as well
-chris

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook
sleepyjohn said:
Am I buggered?
Is this an iBook G3 like in your specs? If so, that line could be an indication that the logic board is faulty. This was a big issue with G3 iBooks. If that is the case, you might be eligble for the Expanded iBook Logic Board Repair Program:
Apple said:
How does Apple define a "component failure" for this program?
The Expanded iBook Logic Board Repair Extension Program covers iBooks that have a specific component failure on the logic board, resulting in the computer starting up but the built-in and attached external displays exhibiting one or more of the following symptoms:
Scrambled or distorted video
Appearance of unexpected lines on the screen
Intermittent video image
Video freeze
Computer starts up to blank screen

More information can be found on Apple's site here:

http://www.apple.com/support/ibook/faq/

OP
S
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iBook G3
Thanx so much for all your suggestions.

I live in Thailand and to get it to a genius would mean it going to Bangkok about 500miles.
As I now have a Macbook also, and my iBook is a G3 out of warranty or care, I think if it stays one pixel wide as it is my backup it might not be worth any expense.
This doesn't mean if I could get a good clue and know what was wrong for sure it wouldn't be worth fixing.
Interesting about the logic board. I have actually had the logic board replaced TWICE by Apple under the replacement program. The "lines on screen" syndrome was quite different....there were many and horizontal and moving about.

I think a screenshot isn't necessary. If there is a genius in our forum here I think a major clue is that it is a single bright line starting at the very top and ending at the very bottom. It doesn't rollover into the next line. This means something doesn't it?
(ps I believe the line is actually white, only looked light blue because of surrounding.)

cheers again John

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Powermac g4 400mhz, 10gb, 256mb ram, OS9
either a dead line of pixles, a faulty logic/video board, or a pinched display cable. Hook the ibook to an external monitor. If it has a line on the external screen, then the problem is within the logic/video boards. If there is not a line on the external monitor's screen, then the display/display cable are faulty.

T

tmcmillin

Did you ever find out what the problem was?? I think I'm having the same problem with my powerbook. But mine go horizontal in stad. I just posted put a thread befor I seen this. If you fixed the problem could find out let me know. I'm starting to get sick of seeing tho's lines (i hate two of them). Thanks.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.