Options for running windows progs on a mac book?

Reaction score
I have a new Macbook and love it, but I need the ability run windows programs. I heard about virtual pc, but that doesn't work w/intel based macs.
What is the best way to go about running pc software on a mac. I've heard you can partition your HD and run windows on it. Does anyone know how to do this? How much memory should I partition?
Thanks gang,
-Greg P

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro M1 • iPhone 14 Pro • iPad Pro • iMac Retina 27"
Do a search on this site for "BootCamp" (the partitioning bit you referred to) and "Parallels" (virtualization software for the Intel Macs). There's a ton of information here to answer your questions.

There is (and will be) no VirtualPC for the Intel Macs: Microsoft confirmed this a couple weeks ago. Parallels Desktop is the only solution, at least until VMWare comes out with their product.

For what it's worth, I've been running Parallels Desktop on my MacBook for a couple months and it does exactly what I need it to do.

Good luck!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP, 2.0Ghz, 2GB RAM, 120GB HDD, 1991 Powerbook 100, Gen 2 Nano, Gen 1 Touch
I would also keep an eye out for an app called Crossover.

Its in Alpha stage at the mo, but runs windows apps within OS X without virtualization.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.