30 Gig Video Backlighting?

C

cvclover

I dont get it, on every iPod I've ever had, holding down the Menu for 3 seconds lit up the backlight making it very easy to navigate in the dark.

The 30 gig no longer does this? Holding menu only brings me back to the menu... and unless I set it to turning on for 2 seconds whenever I touch it, I can't use the backlight in the dark? I don't want to set it to 2 seconds because thats battery life that I am wasting when I dont need it...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" iMac C2D 2.16ghz, 13" MacBook 2.0ghz, 60gb iPod vid, 1gb nano
It's not the iPod, its the firmware. In the latest firmware apple decided to remove that functionality from all of the iPods that it updated

OP
C

cvclover

well is anyone else experiencing my frustration or is it just me? if its pitch black, I cant navigate anymore. unless of course I have it set to turn on even when I dont need it...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Pro 8x3.0ghz 12gb ram 8800GT , MBP 2.16 2GB Ram 17 inch.
trpnmonkey41 said:
It's not the iPod, its the firmware. In the latest firmware apple decided to remove that functionality from all of the iPods that it updated

Do you know why apple decided to do this?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
PowerBookG4 said:
Do you know why apple decided to do this?

Not a clue. I just have the backlight on 2 seconds. I hit a playlist, lock the iPod and am usually set until I am ready to turn it off so it never really bothered me

Reaction score
Can cvclover downgrade to a previous firmware version and recover the backlight functionality he/she prefers, what would be the downside?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I don't think there is anyway to downgrade firmware

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
dual 2.7ghz g5 2.5megs ram 533gigs HD, TiBook g4 1ghz 768ram
you usually cant downgrade firmware

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Aluminium Macbook 2.4 Ghz 4GB RAM, SSD 24" Samsung Display, iPhone 4, iPad 2
If you still have a copy of the older Firmware updater app, you can restore the iPod using that and you'll have the feature back again.

I missed it at first, but I've always found the colour models tricky to use without a backlight, so I just set it to something low (5 seconds) and forget about it.

Reaction score
Aptmunich said:
If you still have a copy of the older Firmware updater app, you can restore the iPod using that and you'll have the feature back again.

Is this the equivalent of firmware downgrading.....? :ninja:

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Aluminium Macbook 2.4 Ghz 4GB RAM, SSD 24" Samsung Display, iPhone 4, iPad 2
Sort of, you'll have the older firmware back, so you have downgraded. But it involves wiping the iPod blank first.

But it definitely is possible to jump up & down between firmware version on the iPod - you'll obviously loose any new features though (Volume limit functionality I think).

Reaction score
Aptmunich said:
Sort of, you'll have the older firmware back, so you have downgraded. But it involves wiping the iPod blank first.

But it definitely is possible to jump up & down between firmware version on the iPod - you'll obviously loose any new features though (Volume limit functionality I think).

And there's the possibility the older firmware won't be able to play AAC's?

Are there 2 options? - upgrade, restore, and isn't it only the upgrade which wipes the iPod's drive?

Reaction score
Pulse-8 said:

Are there 2 options? - upgrade, restore, and isn't it only the upgrade which wipes the iPod's drive?

No, the oldest firmware for a video iPod definitely supports AAC, since my 3G iPod supports AAC, there might be older ones even...

The features lost will by small minor things, and some issues fixed. Unless he's experiencing some issue he needn't really upgrade.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Pulse-8 said:

No. Upgrade doesn't wipe it, restore does

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.