Will custom upgrades void my warranty?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Pro 8 Core, MacBook Air 11
Hello,

I am considering purchasing a macbook or macbook pro and want to max out specs but think Apple is nuts to charge what they do for memory and HDD's. Can I install my own PC-5300 and 2.5" HDD or will this void my warranty. How much of a cash grab is this? Your answers are appreciated and will affect my decision.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" iMac C2D 2.16ghz, 13" MacBook 2.0ghz, 60gb iPod vid, 1gb nano
You can upgrade the HD and Memory in the MB's without voiding the warranty, you can only upgrade the Memory in the MBP's

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13.3" white macbook. 2 GHz Core 2 Duo. 160GB. 2GB memory, and giving leapord a second chance.
just for more clarification..

macbook's, you can upgrade your HD's, and ram memory without voiding warranty, however.. only the ram itself in macbook pro's?

thats weird.. why one, and not the other?

anyways, i have a new 13.3 80GB macbook, and i run photoshop and its been noticeably slowing down. i plan to max out my macbook with 2GB, but im looking into aftermarket ram, and just wondering what will happen to my warranty.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Soon to be a Proud owner of a MBP in January
thats weird.. why one, and not the other?

It's because it's much easier to upgrade the HD in a MacBook than it is in a MacBook Pro. So there is a higher chance that some poeple might damage something while trying to replace the hard drive in the MacBook Pros :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13.3" white macbook. 2 GHz Core 2 Duo. 160GB. 2GB memory, and giving leapord a second chance.
i see..

i just did a quick search on google for a tutrial on how to swap ram on a macbook, and found a youtube video from "macworld" on how to.. man, thats easy. 2 screws.. and the HD is right next to it. i might have to consider upin my HD space too.

80 GB's is filling up quick quickly. i think 150ish.. 200 would be awesome.. i just with apples upgrade prices when purchasing weren't so high.

Reaction score
Ram Upgrade

The Macbook is extremely easy to upgrade the RAM in it. I'm such an amateur in the whole computer upgrading scenario and I was easily able to do it :D The only problem I had was that for the first few times I tried it, it wasn't reading my RAM but it was only because I didn't push it in hard enough, you actually have to push the RAM quite strongly for it to sit in its place ;)

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.