Can't Connect to ASU Network via Airport???

I

iRizzo

Hi, I go to Arizona State University and they have their own wireless network. I was able to connect to it wirelessly totally fine when I first moved into my dorm. Then today when I came back to the campus it would let me connect but when I try to go to the internet it tells me "You are not connected to the internet." When I try to run the Network Diagnostics, it tells me it cannot find a PPPoE server. I can get on the internet with an ethernet cable but it just annoys me that the cable is just running across the room. What's wrong here?

Also, I have a D-Link router and was wondering if I can set up my own network for my room. There are two ethernet cables connected to the wall(1 for me, 1 for my roomate). Can this be done? Any insight would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks! :black:

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" iMac C2D 2.16ghz, 13" MacBook 2.0ghz, 60gb iPod vid, 1gb nano
You probably aren't supposed to be connecting via PPPoE. Go into Network Preferences and under the Airport set it to connect via DHCP.

You could easily set up the wireless network in your room but in most schools it is against policy and they will disable your internet as long as you have the router connected

OP
I

iRizzo

Well it worked for a while but as soon after I woke my computer from sleep it wasn't working again. I looked in the network settings and it wasn't connecting with a PPPoE. don't know what to do now. Any suggestions?

OP
I

iRizzo

I try running the network diagnostics but it doesn't help. The network status says "Connected to the network "ASU". AirPort assigned it's own IP address and may not be able to connect to the internet." The little light next to it is yellow instead of green.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13" MacBook (White), 1GB RAM, 80GB HD | iPod Video 30GB| iPod Nano 1GB
Don't you have an IT department at your school? Maybe you can ask them to help you?

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.