Macbook durability

T

triplenine

Hi all, I am thinking of getting a 13" macbook and am concerned about the abuse that they will suck up. I ride my bike everywhere and have my current toshiba in a timbuk2 sleeve in my messenger bag. The thing has had to have the MB replaced when the keyboard and screen crapped out and it is doing it again. I am pretty sure that it is due to flexing and being bashed around with textbooks and a myriad of other interesting heavy and hard items in my mess bag. I assume that the smaller footprint of the 13" will relieve some of the flexing issues (toshiba was a widescreen so it met the sides of the bag and took alot of pressure being pressed against my back.) but I am wondering about the construction and stiffness of the macbook case. I am going to the Apple store to check it out myself but any actual experience would be great.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" iMac 2.16 ghz. 1 gb ram. 250 GB HDD. Screamer! 2gb ipod nano. 17 in powerbook G4 1.67/1 Gb/120gb
Well all apple computers are very durable. I was gonna get the 12" macbook LOL!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Pro 2.4ghz 4GB RAM
There isn't a 12'' macbook ;)

I think you mean ibook.

But yeah, my first macbook got some crazy scratches on the bottom. Big ups to the apple store for giving me a new one though.

OP
G

geek13

Hi, i recently purchased a macbook 13" and it is very durable. I purchased a incase sleave which has helped my macbook stay dry when some one spilt water on (it was inside the case thank god). I love my back book, my only concern is walking around with it. Apple care does not cover accidental damage or theft, i was told i would have to claim of my house insurance i wonder if apple or some where offers cheap monthly insurance i can take out. any ideas i might start a new thread.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Aluminium Macbook 2.4 Ghz 4GB RAM, SSD 24" Samsung Display, iPhone 4, iPad 2
If you make sure the bottom of the macbook is at the back of your pack, you should be fine.

The macbook has a very sturdy case, I think it is reinforced with magnesium to prevent bending or warping.

My iBook in a neoprene sleeve once fell out of my backpack onto the concrete pavement when my zip became loose and there wasn't even a single scratch.

OP
G

geek13

i cant imagine the shock that went through you when it fell lol not good heart attact waiting to happen

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Aluminium Macbook 2.4 Ghz 4GB RAM, SSD 24" Samsung Display, iPhone 4, iPad 2
Yeah, I was sure the screen would be cracked or there would at least be scuffs in the case - nothing...

OP
T

triplenine

Good to hear. I like the style and want to make the switch. I also can't pay multiple 1000's to get an ultra rugged PC :) Does Parallels Desktop work ok? I have a few pieces of research software that were written for Windows only so that is something that I will need to consider as well.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
dual 2.7ghz g5 2.5megs ram 533gigs HD, TiBook g4 1ghz 768ram
my powerbook has been around the block a million times. apple builds quality products. bike riding should be no problem with it as long as you arent Mtn. bike riding.

when carying my book around with books and other objects i put it in its sleeve and leave it between two books for added protection. my back is curved, my backpack is soft and its laptop spot is in the back of the backpack so i always felt a lil put off by putting it in there
good luck!

Reaction score
Personally, I think that's a difficult question for anyone of us to gauge. What you may consider normal usage, others would consider abusive. :p

I've seen and played around with the macbook. I think it's durable, but susceptible to bumps/knocks like any other laptop. If your toshiba crapped-out, good chance that another laptop would as well...

Not trying to suggest that you shouldn't purchase a macbook, but simply to keep in mind that it could break. :biohazard

Maybe invest in a better quality bag as well :miner:

vj

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Black "ULTIMATE" 1GB RAM 80GBHDD 2.0GHZ Processor
Dont forget apple care

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacPro, MBP C2D, iMac G4
I have a 12" iBook. I used to carry it around in a DaKine backpack. I have taken the iBook with me on many trips around the country, as well as through Airports such as O'hare and LAX. My iBook has been to Mexico, New Zealand and Australia, all within the last 16 months since I purchased it. I have never seriously dropped my iBook or DaKine bag with it inside. There are many small surface scratches, yet nothing is actually broken. The MacBook is the successor to the iBook, and is made out of the same polycarbonate plastic. I think a MacBook, in a decent sleeve, can handle any reasonable situation, and do so better than most PC notebooks.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.