MacBook Pro will no longer turn on!!!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.16 Ghz MacbookPro, 1GB RAM, Radeon X1600, 100GB Hard Disk
I've only had my Macbook Pro for less than a month, everything was working great (except for the whining noise, but I can live with that)

Then, this morning, I go to turn it on -- and it won't! It just makes that sound from the CD-ROM drive, and stops. There's no beep, so I don't think it's a POST test failure. I tried the steps at http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=303234 but nothing worked. I'm going to try to call AppleCare but I was hoping someone here would have an answer.

As you can see, this is a HUGE problem. I can live with the whine; I can't live with having a $3000 paperweight.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook
You are still under warranty so just give Apple a ring and have it repaired.

OP
Hikaru79
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.16 Ghz MacbookPro, 1GB RAM, Radeon X1600, 100GB Hard Disk
D3v1L80Y said:
You are still under warranty so just give Apple a ring and have it repaired.

Yes, obviously, but that's a last resort. From what I hear, sending it to Apple for repair can leave you without a computer for weeks. If there's another way, I'd rather not have to do that.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook
Hikaru79 said:
Yes, obviously, but that's a last resort. From what I hear, sending it to Apple for repair can leave you without a computer for weeks. If there's another way, I'd rather not have to do that.
I have never had to wait weeks when sending something back to Apple. More often than not, the turnaround time has been less than one week.
Still, if you don't want a "$3000 paperweight", it might behoove you to take haste and get the ball rolling with Apple to get it repaired. It is better to have a computer that powers on and works, even if you have to wait for the repairs... than to have one that won't. :black:
If you have already followed the steps on the link you posted and still no dice, then your only real option is to send it in.

:black:

Reaction score
agreed, besides, wouldn't you like the peace of mind knowing that they'll fix your problem from happening again?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Book Pro, 1.83 GHz, 1.5 gigs RAM, 80 GB, AND NO HEAT ISSUES!!
honestly, apple is really good about getting things back to you early. I had to have my superdrive replaced a little while back and they had it back after 4 days. AND (I thought this was cool), before they did anything, they printed out my history homework at the mac store.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 2GHz | 1GB RAM | 256MB VRAM | Mac OS X 10.4.7
I understand his sentiment. Well, it's easier to have things done first before you sending it in for repair. Days or weeks isn't acceptable especially when you do business with your notebook. As what the Hikaru posted, he's tried the steps on the link provided. Why don't you call Apple since it's in the 90-day support and let them help you troubleshoot the issue. They probably have other troubleshooting steps aside from the one on the link.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Aluminium Macbook 2.4 Ghz 4GB RAM, SSD 24" Samsung Display, iPhone 4, iPad 2
If you've really tried every step in that document then I think you're left with no other choice, they cover basically everything that I would have tried as well...

Sorry, but I think that's your only option.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
i dont have no mac's
Hikaru79 said:

7-10 days turnaround is pretty normal from what i hear but i have heard a lot of people saying that they got their book back in 4 days
-chris

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.