"Desktop Cannot Be Modified"...WHAT DID I DO????

Reaction score
Ok, I was sitting in Biology class and I was deleting some extra junk on my HD that I didn't need. I just got this MBP about a month ago. I somehow put my "Desktop" folder from the HD in the trash, emptied the trash, and all of a sudden, all of my Desktop icons are gone and I cannot add anything to the desktop. I still have a folder in my HD called desktop, because when the "Desktop" folder was in the trash, I tried to drag it out, but it only copied it and still kept a copy in the trash for some reason. I have all my programs that were on my "Desktop" and they work properly if I access them from the HD, Applications file. Now when I try to drag my Safari program from HD to Desktop, it sais "Safari cannot be moved, because desktop cannot be moddified"....WHAT DID I DO???? I restored permissions on my HD and that didn't work. I went to Finder, then Preferences, Sidebar, I re-checked Desktop and click out. I then go to the HD, and on the sidebar, there is NO desktop, and if I go back to Finder, Preferences, Sidebar, the Destop box is un-checked again. I am at a loss here and I realize I am a moron for not paying attention in class and messing with this. Please excuse my stupidity as I am preparing for the worst here.....3rd Party Data Recovery. I sure hope not!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" iMac C2D 2.16ghz, 13" MacBook 2.0ghz, 60gb iPod vid, 1gb nano
Just create a new user account and be careful when you delete things

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" iMac 2.16 ghz. 1 gb ram. 250 GB HDD. Screamer! 2gb ipod nano. 17 in powerbook G4 1.67/1 Gb/120gb
Sounds like the easiest Plan!

OP
G
Reaction score
OK....I created a new user account, logged out of my old user account, logged into my new one. I then logged out of the new one and back into the old one and it was like nothing even happened, all my desktop icons were there and everything is as good as new. So i deleted the account i just created (dont need/want it). So everything seems ok. Thanks for the replies!

rman

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14in MacBook Pro M1 Max 32GB 2TB
When you logged out of the old account and back in, the desktop folder was recreated for as you logged in.

OP
G
Reaction score
i figured thats what happened after it took place....another reason why i LOVE my new mac!!!!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.