• Welcome to the Off-Topic/Schweb's Lounge

In addition to the Mac-Forums Community Guidelines, there are a few things you should pay attention to while in The Lounge.

Lounge Rules
    • If your post belongs in a different forum, please post it there.
    • While this area is for off-topic conversations, that doesn't mean that every conversation will be permitted. The moderators will, at their sole discretion, close or delete any threads which do not serve a beneficial purpose to the community.

Understand that while The Lounge is here as a place to relax and discuss random topics, that doesn't mean we will allow any topic. Topics which are inflammatory, hurtful, or otherwise clash with our Mac-Forums Community Guidelines will be removed.

Switching back :(

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Pro 2.4ghz 4GB RAM
edit.
I kept it and I love it. Apple wins.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
ibook G4 14in
Just curious but what were some of the things that you didn't like about the OSX environment? You made the switch; can I ask what your original reasons were for trying out OSX or switching to Mac in the first place?
:mac:

OP
T
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I don't really know, actually. It looks great on the surface, but honestly I'm too familiar with the Windows environment. I work with Linux every day; but its via SSH and I've never used a *nix environment with a GUI (except for a brief stint with a Mac Mini).

Its gorgeous to look at, but I like my two button mouse :(

I've always loved playing with them in the Apple store; so I decided to give it a shot. Didn't work out :p

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook
Honestly, ALL notebook computers are going to run hot. The MacBook has not been out all that long, and since you admittedly used Windows more than the Mac I would think that you might not have given it enough of a chance. Try going at least a week without using Windows and only use the Mac. If you make it that long, go for another week... etc., etc.
I think you will find that the more you use OS X the "easier" and more intuitive it becomes.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
ibook G4 14in
taylorwilsdon said:
Its gorgeous to look at, but I like my two button mouse :(

so then get a two button usb mouse :p j/k.
i agree with devilboy that if you can (I know your time is limited if you want to return it) use your Mac exclusively for a week to truly test things out.

but if you must go back it looks like the machine your going back to is spec'd pretty nice.
:black:

OP
T
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
D3v1L80Y said:
Honestly, ALL notebook computers are going to run hot. The MacBook has not been out all that long, and since you admittedly used Windows more than the Mac I would think that you might not have given it enough of a chance. Try going at least a week without using Windows and only use the Mac. If you make it that long, go for another week... etc., etc.
I think you will find that the more you use OS X the "easier" and more intuitive it becomes.

Ehh... the laptop I'm coming off would keep cool for a three hour plane ride.

I used only OSX for the first week I had it. 4 days ago, I installed bootcamp and began using that for every boot.

BigBear said:
so then get a two button usb mouse :p j/k.
i agree with devilboy that if you can (I know your time is limited if you want to return it) use your Mac exclusively for a week to truly test things out.

but if you must go back it looks like the machine your going back to is spec'd pretty nice.

I used a two button mouse (logitech mx900) which synced nicely with the integrated bluetooth, but it doesn't have the same control as I do on a PC.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
taylorwilsdon said:

I used only OSX for the first week I had it. 4 days ago, I installed bootcamp and began using that for every boot.

If you used OSX for a week and it did not by then start to impress you and you did not like it, then I would say take it back and get your HP. It seems XP is what you really want.

OP
T
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Thats where my head's at now.

Don't get me wrong, its a gorgeous machine. Everything about it is flawlessly manufactured and OSX is amazingly smooth and great to look at; but I'm too used to XP.

Guess its just not the right fit for me :(

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Pro 17" 2.6GHz 4GB RAM
Beware of hps-I've had to replace powerjacks (the internal part that connects to the power adaptor) in 3 of my customers so far, which entails taking the whole laptop apart removing the powerjack and soldering a new one back on. They are not connected well at all to the motherboard. At least get an extended warranty or better yet, another brand. Of course, I don't think anything will touch a Mac as far as quality.

OP
T
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Yeah, I know about HP and quality; believe me. My kid brother fried one a year back and they told us to off when we called for support.

This is light usage though, and for me it seems to fit my needs. I've always bought sony up until this mac, so I figure this is time for new things :)

Reaction score
I have a Windows PC sitting right next to my iMac G5 and know I could never fully turn my back on the PC....or the iMac....

Maybe I'll revisit that statement once I'm as comfortable under the hood of my mac as I am on the PC.

Reaction score
taylorwilsdon said:

I used a two button mouse (logitech mx900) which synced nicely with the integrated bluetooth, but it doesn't have the same control as I do on a PC.

Not sure what vaio you have, but mine would leave welps on your leg it got so hot, not to mention the freezing up and the ultimate - the jack where the cord plugged in came loose. Guess what - it was all one piece with the motherboard. Sony wanted $700 plus taxes and shipping -two months out of warrenty - Hello apple and the mag plug.

Actually I was quite frustrated the first couple of weeks I had my mac. A tour thru previous posts will show that. I think any time you have a new tech toy with a learning curve you go thru three stages: 1) this is so cool, 2) I hate this thing and I cant get used to it, but I have so much money invested in it, and 3) I can't live without this thing now. I went thru the same thing with my orginal Palm.

I almost carried mine back also - now I love it. Depends on your reasons for leaving

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" iMac 2.16 ghz. 1 gb ram. 250 GB HDD. Screamer! 2gb ipod nano. 17 in powerbook G4 1.67/1 Gb/120gb
Ok switching to mac is like any other big transition you may make. Like driving a stick shift vs. Auto. At first you may say wow stick shift is soooo COOL! Then you buy one and keep stalling because your so use to the auto. Once you get that clutch and gas balance down you will love it! Its as cool as you thought it was when you bought it. My advice learn how to use the machine you bought to learn on.

Reaction score
This has nothing to do with "I'm so used to XP." I'd clicked around on a mac for all of 5min before I bought one. Ya, it was a lot different and I had to figure out what was where and how things worked, but if you are computer literate at all you can figure it out.

Its either a $ thing or the heat issue. How could it be "I'm too used to XP" when you can and have used XP on the macbook?

And if its a heat issue, every notebook I've ever used gets warm to hot after a while. There is just no getting around it.

FYI, we just sold a 2.5yr old Vaio that had overheating issues almost from the get go. Mobo was replaced once because the power jack stopped working. And just before I sold it it had stopped working AGAIN. I'm not too impressed with Sonys build quality.

OP
T
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I took it in today and they convinced me that the heat issue was abnormal. Guess it was, because they swapped me for a new one and its running cool as a cucumber.

To understand what I meant, coreduotemp showed it at 160 degrees+ after 15 minutes of low usage operating.

Now its hovering around 90% as I type this.

You guys can't quite understand what the heat issue was. It was so hot that I was afraid to put it on a wooden table.

I've owned 6 Sony laptops in the last 5 years and they've all held up like champions. I've also been very impressed with their support and their performance.

So; yeah. I'm back on Mac, at least temporarily. I've got another 14 days to test this sucka out.

OP
T
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
voodoodaddy said:
This has nothing to do with "I'm so used to XP." I'd clicked around on a mac for all of 5min before I bought one. Ya, it was a lot different and I had to figure out what was where and how things worked, but if you are computer literate at all you can figure it out.

I work for an IT firm. I work with Windows and Linux on hundreds of different computers every week.

Its not about figuring anything out.
voodoodaddy said:
Its either a $ thing or the heat issue. How could it be "I'm too used to XP" when you can and have used XP on the macbook?

I'm going to take a page from any rapper and say "money ain't a thang"

I don't mean that in a boastful way; I'm just saying that I've never had any cash flow issues. This computer costs about a week of overtime.

voodoodaddy said:
And if its a heat issue, every notebook I've ever used gets warm to hot after a while. There is just no getting around it.

FYI, we just sold a 2.5yr old Vaio that had overheating issues almost from the get go. Mobo was replaced once because the power jack stopped working. And just before I sold it it had stopped working AGAIN. I'm not too impressed with Sonys build quality.

I've been shocked and amazed with Sony's support; but lets not make this a manufacturer battle. Sony came to my house, free of charge, to swap out a toasted motherboard after a power surge.

Sony has amazing quality machines, they're the only firm that I'd consider rivaling to Apple.

Reaction score
taylorwilsdon said:
I work for an IT firm. I work with Windows and Linux on hundreds of different computers every week.

I dont care who you work for. To say you are taking it back because you are "so used to Windows" covers about 95% of ppl that also buy a mac. I had ZERO experience with a mac and had very little problem acclimating myself to OSX.

And as I pointed out, you wanted to return it to go back to XP. Well you already have XP on the macbook. Why would you need to "go back to it"?

OP
T
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I'm not quite sure why you're being hostile =\

You said "but if you are computer literate at all you can figure it out. "

So I pointed out that I consider myself very computer literate.

I'd appreciate it if you didn't take any further part in this discussion.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook
voodoodaddy said:
....I had ZERO experience with a mac and had very little problem acclimating myself to OSX.
That is great that you were able to transition as well as you have.
Some people take to a new OS faster than others. Some don't take to it as well. There is no crime in that. The bottom line is that some people are just more attuned to using Windows. Whatever the reason, be it familiarity with another OS, etc... nobody has to justify or prove anything to anyone as to why they do or why they don't use a certain OS.

Its unfortunate, taylorwilsdon, that your first impression was not as easy going as others. I do think that if you give it a chance (and it sounds like you are going to) then you will learn to use and enjoy OS X.

Still, if you don't keep it at least you can say that you tried it.

So let's all not worry, speculate and/or nit-pick about what the minor points or reasons could be as to why someone doesn't like OS X. If they choose to stop using it, it is their choice. :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Book Pro, 1.83 GHz, 1.5 gigs RAM, 80 GB, AND NO HEAT ISSUES!!
I don't think he was really being hostile. If you really wanna switch back, fine. But I would keep the mac just in case...You never know when the PC finally drives you crazy and you'll wanna try the mac again :)

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.