iPhoto 6 Offline files/Aliased files

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17" 1.8Ghz iMac G5 512MB
I'm having trouble importing files into my iphoto 6 library. I started out with a clean library, clean install, and inserted my dvds in one at a time, importing all without copying the files to the disk (option in preferences.)

The goal of course is to have a great easy way to quickly go through/search through my library without having them all filling up my hard drive. I have about 100 GB of photos currently.

The problem *seems* to be when files of the same name are imported again (even though they have different discs, filetimes, sizes, etc,) iPhoto gets confused. This is only a guess, I'm not certain this is what's happening, but it starts giving me errors that it cannot find the volume for the file. Naturally if it's trying to reference the older file it's on a different dvd.

My file names are IMG_####.JPG and .CR2. Naturally I have over 10,000 of them so there will be duplicates. Am I up the river without a paddle, or does someone know a way to get iphoto to allow the same filename if they're on different volumes?

OP
Ozone42
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17" 1.8Ghz iMac G5 512MB
Anyone? This was a big selling point for the upgrade. I'm sorry I bought it now.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.