question about ibooks 500mhz and such....

tgg

Reaction score
Prety soon I'll be buying a ibook but wanted to know are the atleast 500mhz ibooks still good functional computers? I am a windows user I have a gaming pc I play games and such, but I want a mac to learn the OS because I have my own local onsite computer tech bussiness and I get calls wanting to know if i know macs.

Can someone give me some advice and such thax....

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Pro 2.4ghz 4GB RAM
500hmz iBook? Thats going to be like a G3 clamshell notebook; barely functional. You should really consider a desktop Mac because it'll be much cheaper and still run the latest programs.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook
taylorwilsdon said:
500hmz iBook? Thats going to be like a G3 clamshell notebook; barely functional. You should really consider a desktop Mac because it'll be much cheaper and still run the latest programs.
Actually the clamshells stopped at 466Mhz.
This would be the IceBook line, the first all white iBooks. There is no reason why it wouldn't run the latest OS, 10.4.x Tiger.
It would be quite functional and a great system for getting your feet wet with OS X and not dropping a ton of cash.
I would only suggest packing it with RAM, as much as you can. Outside of that there is no reason why it would be a poor choice or something to steer clear of.
Good luck with your purchase!
:black:

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
'11 Macbook Pro i5 2.3 GHZ, 4GB, 10.10.4
I have a 500MHZ G3 iBook. I use it to learn Mac OSX, and it actually works pretty well. If you want a cheap mac laptop to learn OSX on, get a G3.

J

JSchultz

G3's are still plenty usable. I believe the base, base 500 mhz models came with 96 mb of ram, and you could stuff a 512 in there. I had a 700 mhz icebook for a while, and it was just fine for email and iTunes.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.