built in backup software?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Aluminum 12" 1.33ghz PowerBook G4 w/ 1280mb RAM, 80gb 5400rpm HD, 64mb vid RAM
I was talking to a Best Buy clerk today about external harddrives. I was lamenting the fact that most externals come with backup software (especially one-touch) that only works with windows, and he seemed to think that OSX Tiger had built in backup software. I've looked through Mac help and haven't found anything.
Does anyone know anything about any sort of built in backup software that would work with your average external?
If not, does anyone know of an affordable, reliable external with mac-compatable backup software?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
3.4 Ghz i7 MacBook Pro (2015), iPad Pro (2014), iPhone Xs Max. Apple TV 4K
Well, you can create a backup disc image of your boot or other drive with Disc utility. I've never done so though. There is always simple drag and drop.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.16 Ghz MacbookPro, 1GB RAM, Radeon X1600, 100GB Hard Disk
Leopard (the upcoming release of OS X) is advertising something called Time Machine which facilitates backups in a number of ways, one of them being to an external drive as you described.

Unfortunately, it's only coming out next Spring :(

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.