• The Mac-Forums Community Guidelines (linked at the top of every forum) are very clear, we respect US law and court precedence when it comes to legality of activity.

Therefore to clarify:
    • You may not discuss breaking DVD or BluRay encryption, copying, or "ripping" commercial, copy-protected DVDs.
    • This includes DVDs or BluRays you own. Even if you own the DVD or BluRay, it is still technically illegal under the DMCA to break the encryption. While some may argue otherwise, until the law is rewritten or the US Supreme Court strikes it down, we will adhere to the current intent of the law.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying unprotected movies or homemade DVDs.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying tools in the context that they are used for legal purposes as outlined in this post.

Film footage consolidated with iMovie file?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
'09 8-core MacPro | '12 MBA | iPad 2 16GB | iPhone 5C 16GB
So, I'm in the midst of working on a very big film project about my trip to Africa. However my PowerBooks hard drive is running low on space and I've only captured about 1/8 of the video. I've already deleted everything that I can afford to erase, but it's not enough. So I'm going to reformat the hard drive, but I wanted to check before I just went gung ** and did it. If I back up my films project file from iMovie will that save with it all of the video clips that have been captured? I don't want to back up the project file then after I've finished everything and reloaded the file back onto my computer, open up iMovie and have all the footage gone. Anybody know the answer? I'm running out of time to finish the project so I could use an answer ASAP, I really appreciate it! Have a nice day. :)

Reaction score
Where are the original video files on your HD?

I'm hazarding a guess that when you created your project and imported each video clip in, they were copied, so I'm not sure if you could export the individual video files back out of the iMovie project backup....

While you would have the project, incomplete as it is, that may be all you'd have...

It's not worth the risk of losing your valuable video footage so I would back the project and the individual video clips...say to a Dual -Layer DVD or 2, or 3.....

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Pro 8x3.0ghz 12gb ram 8800GT , MBP 2.16 2GB Ram 17 inch.
If you are going to capture all of the footage then erasing your hard drive and installing osx back on it is not going to save enough space for you to capture all of it. You will need an external hard drive. You can however, edit some of the video, export to a fully quality dv movie file, burned it onto a dvd but as a data disc not a video disc. Continue with this process then put all the video files from the dvds back onto the computer, put them in an imovie project, and finish it off.. send it to iDVD and then your project will be done.

OP
Sexy Patrol
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
'09 8-core MacPro | '12 MBA | iPad 2 16GB | iPhone 5C 16GB
Well, I tested it out by transferring the project file via iPod to my Mac Mini then opened it up in iMovie and everything was still there. Sooo I'm golden, thanks guys!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.