Running Leopard on PC?

Status
Not open for further replies.
D

drusse11

Whats gonig on guys
I have been a using windows pretty much my whole life and recentlly just bought a new HP with XP on it. However I was planning on getting Vista when it came up but since I bought my HP I have seen many comparisons between Leopard and Vista and evey time Leopard wins so I started to looking into Leopard and Tiger and I have pretty much be converted to a Mac fan except for one thing...Im still running XP and I have a new computer so buying another is out of the question...i believe i heard something a few months back about it being possible now to fun Mac on a pc...is this corrent? will it be possible to run Leopard on my HP?

thanks

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
3.4 Ghz i7 MacBook Pro (2015), iPad Pro (2014), iPhone Xs Max. Apple TV 4K
There are various unsupported, unofficial and illegal hacks out there that will make OSX run on a generic PC. None are sanctioned by Apple, and you can't just buy Tiger or Leopard and put it on a PC. Updates have to be downloaded from wherever once they are done by whomever so you can upgrade your PC. Sorry. Do a google search, I'm sure you'll find something about it.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook
drusse11 said:
.i believe i heard something a few months back about it being possible now to fun Mac on a pc...is this corrent? will it be possible to run Leopard on my HP?

thanks
No it is not correct and no you will not be able to run OS X 10.5 on anything other than a Mac.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
White MacBook @ 2ghz, 1 gig of ram, 100GB HDD
D3v1L80Y said:
No it is not correct and no you will not be able to run OS X 10.5 on anything other than a Mac.

How much do you want to bet that you will end up being able to run it on a pc at some point in time?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook
BlueBacchus said:
How much do you want to bet that you will end up being able to run it on a pc at some point in time?
Apple won't license the software or OS. It won't happen.

And for the record, the only way that someone ran a Mac OS on a PC was when someone used an illegal copy of the Developer's Kit version of OS X Tiger. This was NOT the same as the Tiger you get with a new Mac or buy in the store. It was a specially coded, beta, "pre-release" version that only Developers were given. This version was not complete, there were no updates for it and it wasn't intended for the public. It was designed to be run on a generic PC because there were no Intel Macs ready at the time. This in and of itself differentiates it from any legal and official version of OS X. If you tried to do the same with the actual OS X that anyone can buy it wouldn't work. So that is why my original statement that OS X running on PC's holds true. There were way too many stipulations that had to be met, including using a special, off-market version of OS X in order for it to work. Seeing that is was not a version that was ever intended for widespread or public use, or even use on a Mac period, it would be more or less false to say that anyone ever got a 'true' version of OS X to run on a PC.

:black:

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
3.4 Ghz i7 MacBook Pro (2015), iPad Pro (2014), iPhone Xs Max. Apple TV 4K
How much do you want to bet? As long as Steve is running Apple, it won't happen. After that, anything is up for grabs. Apple is keeping the OS tied to it's hardware and isn't going to kill it's hardware side anytime soon by licensing it to other manufacturers.

And to be technically correct, the current crop of Macs are "PCs" just as much as a box from Dell, Gateway or HP are...

Reaction score
The personal computer of my choice is an Apple Macintosh......

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
Ditto here and really always has been. I just could not afford one at first. I wanted a Mac when I first saw the 128 in 1984.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
White MacBook @ 2ghz, 1 gig of ram, 100GB HDD
D3v1L80Y said:
Apple won't license the software or OS. It won't happen.

And for the record, the only way that someone ran a Mac OS on a PC was when someone used an illegal copy of the Developer's Kit version of OS X Tiger. This was NOT the same as the Tiger you get with a new Mac or buy in the store. It was a specially coded, beta, "pre-release" version that only Developers were given. This version was not complete, there were no updates for it and it wasn't intended for the public. It was designed to be run on a generic PC because there were no Intel Macs ready at the time. This in and of itself differentiates it from any legal and official version of OS X. If you tried to do the same with the actual OS X that anyone can buy it wouldn't work. So that is why my original statement that OS X running on PC's holds true. There were way too many stipulations that had to be met, including using a special, off-market version of OS X in order for it to work. Seeing that is was not a version that was ever intended for widespread or public use, or even use on a Mac period, it would be more or less false to say that anyone ever got a 'true' version of OS X to run on a PC.

:black:

I understand your arguement, however OS X Tiger (regardless developer kit or not) ran on (and still does) on PC's.
It will reoccur again on Leopard.
And I neglecting whether it is legal or not.

:headphone

Reaction score
dtravis7 said:
Ditto here and really always has been. I just could not afford one at first. I wanted a Mac when I first saw the 128 in 1984.

Can you believe the original $2500 price tag....

Reaction score
where there's a will, there's a way.

that said, apple hardware is ahead of the game. theres more thought put into it.

Reaction score
Speaking of the the 128, the carry bag it came with would be handy today, even if the 128 has been superceded....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.