connected but not connected (LAN)

Reaction score
First off I must say it seems a hassle to have to go through a multi-step procedure every time I switch from modem to wireless LAN.
Is there an easy way?

But my real question is:
I did switch it, and was surfing fine. Re-started the PC because of browser glitch.
After re-starting, I was no longer connected. So say my browsers and FTP client. But going into the System Prefs, Network, it tells me I AM connected, and Connect is greyed-out.

I tried several times, re-started again to no avail.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini 09, MBP 12, MBA 15
You might try to set up separate locations in the network preferences then you can select them easily from the apple menu.

What kind of browser glitch would require a restart. What browser and FTP client. What are your network settings. All these things will help us help you. also you might try the proper forum because this isnt a switcher issue.

OP
L
Reaction score
"The message you have entered is too short. Please lengthen your message to at least 5 characters." OK, maybe now it'll post:

IronMac said:
You might try to set up separate locations in the network preferences then you can select them easily from the apple menu.

----Thanks but... how does one access them from the menu? How does one place a shortcut there?

What kind of browser glitch would require a restart. What browser and FTP client. What are your network settings. All these things will help us help you.

----Never mind the browser. It was something Safari always does and Firefox sometimes does at lower resolutions
http://tinyurl.com/gng7t
but that's hopeless. I've resigned myself to the highly unsatisfactory native resolution.
FTP client is SimpleFTP as that freeware one with the fishy icon would not work.

also you might try the proper forum because this isnt a switcherissue.

----Sorry.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini 09, MBP 12, MBA 15
You can find them under the Apple> Locations.

OP
L
Reaction score
Thanks.

I haver not been much motivated to fool with my Apple since I do have another laptop that is working well.
Today I took the Apple into town and tried it on dial-up to see if that worked any better.
Of several attempts, I was able to get a connection ONCE, for some minutes. It may have been the ISP cutting me off.

But the other times I could not connect; just got an error message. Several times I alternated, that is, I failed to connect on the Apple, switched the phone cord to my HP, got right on, switched the cord to the Apple, could not get on, Switched back to the HP and got right on again. So it's not the ISP.

Yet, like I said, it's not consistent: I was able to connect one time.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.