External Hard Drives

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Imac G5, iBook, 60gb iPod Photo, iPod mini and two shuffles
Im about to buy an external hard drive for my iMac and have a couple of questions:

Im considering portable but cant find one bigger than 80gb, are there any bigger without being super pricey.

I would prefer a non-portable due to size and cost but will be moving from the UK to North America which uses a different power supply, would this mean I cant use a UK hard drive there or can I just swap the power lead.

Would a none portable dard drive be more fragile during transport, I heard that the portable drives have a head which moves from the disc to keep it a bit safer.

Reaction score
Get a LaCie. I've got a 300GB d2 Big Disk and it's been absolutely great. It can run under FW800, FW400 AND USB2.0. You really can't lose! It's robust, so you can assure that your data is at least physically safe. Plus, it comes with a 9-pin FW800 cable, 6-pin FW400 cable, 4-pin FW400 cable, USB2.0 cable, UK power cable AND a US power cable!

The down-side is that they're not the cheapest, but once you've had one, you'll probably go back to LaCie forever.

onlyone-jc.

OP
D
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Imac G5, iBook, 60gb iPod Photo, iPod mini and two shuffles
onlyone-jc said:
Get a LaCie. I've got a 300GB d2 Big Disk and it's been absolutely great. It can run under FW800, FW400 AND USB2.0. You really can't lose! It's robust, so you can assure that your data is at least physically safe. Plus, it comes with a 9-pin FW800 cable, 6-pin FW400 cable, 4-pin FW400 cable, USB2.0 cable, UK power cable AND a US power cable!

The down-side is that they're not the cheapest, but once you've had one, you'll probably go back to LaCie forever.

onlyone-jc.

Im looking at a Lacie 250gb Extreme II Triple, is that pretty much the same other than disk size?

The power cable is the biggest thing as Id pay more for a drive I can take with me.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.