Turned off but stays on??

Reaction score
Hi all,
I recently aquired a macbook 13.3-inch,2.0GHz.....
When I shut it down(pressing the shutdown button and choosing the shut down prompt)It appears to go off,then when I close the screen a little white led on right bottom corner appears,

A few hours later when I switch it back on it wont restart,

I feel that the battery is drained,because a quick charge and its ready to go,

Has this happened to anybody else,what way are you supposed to turn it off

Any help would be greatly appreciated

Thanks
kev

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
I have a feeling you are putting it to sleep and not shutting it down. The Proper way to turn off a Mac is in OSX on the Apple Menu. Click the Blue Apple in the upper left hand corner of the screen and choose Shut Down. See if it still does that.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Black "ULTIMATE" 1GB RAM 80GBHDD 2.0GHZ Processor
You need to wait untill the system fully powers down or when you close the lid it will goto sleep in the middle of shutting down

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
nickster9224 said:
You need to wait untill the system fully powers down or when you close the lid it will goto sleep in the middle of shutting down

Another possibliity.

Reaction score
nickster9224 said:

I do this all the time, and people who use my computer for the first time do it too. I usually leave the screen up well it is turning off, them come back a few minutes later and close the lid.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
G4 Cube
Beckrpgirl said:
I do this all the time, and people who use my computer for the first time do it too. I usually leave the screen up well it is turning off, them come back a few minutes later and close the lid.

Yeah, discovered that too. Solution is simply to wait until it is 100% shut down (white LED goes off) before closing the lid.

Reaction score
nickster9224 said:

^exactly

Reaction score
I sometimes use this keyboard shortcut to shutdown...cmd + opt + ctrl + eject

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.