LaCie Combo (PCMCIA) - Problems

Reaction score
Hi.

I installed a LaCie Combo Firewire/USB PCMCIA card in my computer this morning. I installed the drivers, clicked restart, and upon reboot I was faced with what looked like a kernel panic (something telling me to restart the computer in a few different languages). So, I restarted the computer, and the same thing happen upon every succession.

I managed to boot up in to Safe Mode, install the drivers again (I just ran the installer again), and then tried a normal boot, which was successful.

Upon testing the firewire buss, it seems a little temperamental. At one point, the device I have connected to it dropped out. I had to eject and re-enter the PCMCIA card again in order to recover from it.

I've noticed a new little icon on the Finder bar, which is displaying that I have a PCMCIA card in the slot. When I click on it, I get a menu with a list of items; Unknown Vendor, USB Controller, and Power off Card. Shouldn't it state LaCie here, instead of Unknown Vendor?

Does anybody have any clues as to how I can resolve this? If needed, how would I uninstall the drivers for the card? Where will they be stored on the system? Is there a hardware installer/uninstaller application hidden in OS X, at all?

----------

Edit:
I managed to copy the error report before it quit, and the error codes are:

Exception: EXC_BAD_ACCESS (0x0001)
Codes: KERN_PROTECTION_FAILURE (0x0002) at 0x00000000
Any ideas what this is referring to? Is it the memory? It doesn't seem right that there be a problem with the memory, since this system has been fine before I installed this card.

----------

Edit:
I tested my memory both with an extended Apple hardware test and memtest, and it passed everything. So, surely it's not the memory?

Any ideas?

Thanks,
onlyone-jc.

OP
O
Reaction score
I put the card in again, and connected a device to it, and to my surprise, it now seems to work! *is very confused!* Although, it does still state that it's by an 'Unknown Vendor', but then maybe that's just the way it is? I'm not sure.

onlyone-jc.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.