What a great deal

Reaction score
So I ordered a mb white 2ghz and upgraded the hd to 80gb. As a student I got it for $1,244 and got the nano+printer.

I called and complained about how the estimated arrival date was three weeks and about how the blackbook is $155 for black, so they refunded $100 over giving me a blackbook at whitebook 80gb pricing.

I just downgraded the hd to 60gb so i can buy this 120 gb hd off newegg. After fees I should get $40-45 for the 60gb it came with. I am also getting this memory. However when i ordered it two days ago it was $5 less per stick.

I figure i can sell the nano for $145-$155 after fees and the printer for $60-$70.

So in the end I am going to have a 2ghz whitebook w/2gb/120gb for $1229 after tax and everything else. I am synced for my first mac. Full retail with mac doing the upgrades would be $2172.

Reaction score
climbguy said:
So I ordered a mb white 2ghz and upgraded the hd to 80gb. As a student I got it for $1,244 and got the nano+printer.

I called and complained about how the estimated arrival date was three weeks and about how the blackbook is $155 for black, so they refunded $100 over giving me a blackbook at whitebook 80gb pricing.

I just downgraded the hd to 60gb so i can buy this 120 gb hd off newegg. After fees I should get $40-45 for the 60gb it came with. I am also getting this memory. However when i ordered it two days ago it was $5 less per stick.

I figure i can sell the nano for $145-$155 after fees and the printer for $60-$70.

So in the end I am going to have a 2ghz whitebook w/2gb/120gb for $1229 after tax and everything else. I am synced for my first mac. Full retail with mac doing the upgrades would be $2172.

sounds like a lot of work.

i got the 80gb.
i got 2 gigs of ram for 168 @ newegg.com and i ran over to microcenter and got a 300 gb drive for $160 and an external casing for 30 bucks.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Unibody MBP 2.4 GHz C2D/27" Core i7 iMac
Just remember, once you change out your HD, you have no more warranty. ;)

OP
C
Reaction score
kevin_msu said:
sounds like a lot of work.

i got the 80gb.
i got 2 gigs of ram for 168 @ newegg.com and i ran over to microcenter and got a 300 gb drive for $160 and an external casing for 30 bucks.

Does microcenter sell that drive on their site, I cant find their 2.5 sata all i see under notebook drives is ide and when i look under sata they all look like desktop drives.

rman

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14in MacBook Pro M1 Max 32GB 2TB
Mattlike said:
Just remember, once you change out your HD, you have no more warranty.
dohidied said:
That is completely, and utterly, wrong. :p

http://manuals.info.apple.com/en/MacBook_13inch_HardDrive_DIY.pdf

Mattlike is correct, when it comes to your internal hard disk. You purchased it with a 60GB drive. the warranty covers the 60GB drive and not th 120GB drive. So Mattlike is saying if the 120GB drive fails, the warranty will not cover it. Also if the drive fails and causes other problems, then no warranty.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" iMac 2.0 GHz Intel Core Duo, 12" iBook G4 1.07 GHz
rman said:
Mattlike is correct, when it comes to your internal hard disk. You purchased it with a 60GB drive. the warranty covers the 60GB drive and not th 120GB drive. So Mattlike is saying if the 120GB drive fails, the warranty will not cover it. Also if the drive fails and causes other problems, then no warranty.

Mattlike is not correct, but this is mainly an issue of semantics. Mattlike said that if you change your HD you have no more warranty. That is false. Obviously, Apple doesn't warranty the new HD, but the new HD doesn't nullify the rest of the warranty. According to the Apple literature I referenced, the warranty is voided only if the instructions are not followed. Yes, you are correct that if you cause other problems by installing another HD those problems will not be covered. But as long as you install the HD correctly and it doesn't explode you do still have a warranty on your MacBook.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.