Keep having to reset PRAM

R

Rock Hardwell

After getting my logic board replaced, I've had to take my macbook in twice more, because the PRAM, as I had recently learned, needed to be reset. I've had to reset the PRAM three times today. I'm thinking about just asking for a new machine. Anyone experiencing this too?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Pro 8x3.0ghz 12gb ram 8800GT , MBP 2.16 2GB Ram 17 inch.
What are the problems that are causing you to reset the pram?

OP
R

Rock Hardwell

When I try to turn my laptop on, only a gray screen will appear and OSX won't even load up.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Pro 8x3.0ghz 12gb ram 8800GT , MBP 2.16 2GB Ram 17 inch.
You should call apple up again and see if they can possibly replace your logic board again.

OP
R

Rock Hardwell

I probably will, but I'm worried that the same things will just start happening again. I go back to school in two weeks and I don't really want to have to keep worrying about my laptop being faulty.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black MacBook. Once you go black, you never go back. 2.0 Ghz Intel Core Duo; 2 GB RAM; 80 GB HDD
I had the same problem and the Applecare guy told me over the phone to reset the PRAM and then go into System Preferences and switch to another screen resolution than the one you have on and then switch it back to the one you want, and it should stop the grey screen.

OP
W

wildrunner

If i remember correctly sometimes when you reset the pram it can cause the computer to not to be able to see your hard drive hence the grey screen.I had this problem with my G4.Try holding down option when you start up.And you should see an icon for your hard drive click that and it should work.(if option doesnt work try control) Worth a try atleast.

OP
D

DryDockDave

Reset Screen worked!

I had my logic board replaced due to the random shutdown problem and then when I got it back I got the dark grey scree on restart unless I zapped the pram. Changing the screen resolution as described below has fixed it!... so far.

Thanks

DDD

fasheezy said:
I had the same problem and the Applecare guy told me over the phone to reset the PRAM and then go into System Preferences and switch to another screen resolution than the one you have on and then switch it back to the one you want, and it should stop the grey screen.

OP
J

jroc

DryDockDave said:
I had my logic board replaced due to the random shutdown problem and then when I got it back I got the dark grey scree on restart unless I zapped the pram. Changing the screen resolution as described below has fixed it!... so far.

Thanks

DDD

Can someone help me out?
I have an iBook G4, 1064mhz, 256/30.
I dont know what model that makes it, but from the Mac website, I have tried to reset the PRAM to no avail. All of the methods listed do not seem to do anything on my ibook.

Im having the same problem, i boot, it does stuff, and then goes to a grey/blue screen (maybe im colorblind?)

I tried using this link to reset the PRAM Resetting PowerBook and iBook Power Management Unit (PMU)

I dont know which one is for my model, but i see no reset button under the keyboard, or on the case. There is a little tiny hole on the case beside the LCD???

As well, i did hold down the "option" button when booting, and it brings me to a screen which shows an image of a hard drive with a green "x"

I dont know if the green means good or the X means bad..

One more thing, is just before it turned off on its own and started doing this, there was a terrible noise which sounded like the fan going crazy.. then *black*... Is it possible a faulty fan might have something to do with this? Or it could have been HD platters going ntus?

Thanks

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.