New user: Image backup to CDROM - iMac

R

ratzz

Hi all,

I'm currently using my sisters iMac and hope to be using it as an addition to my PC.

My question is this. I've done a search for my sisters family images (jpegs), and there are 19,000 of them (!).

Firstly, what is the best way to dump these onto a CDROM, and secondly, there seem to be duplications of some of the files, one is a lower file size though - but I guess I'm going to have problems with duplication somewhere down the line when backing them up.

I assume that the smaller image sizes are somekind of thumbnail image - but how do I remove them without deleting the larger original image?

Any help would be appreciated - and remember, iMac is new to me.

Thanks in advance,
Simon

Reaction score
Hi ratzz,

this info will explain the option of Exporting from iPhoto to a folder on your desktop, where you can then burn them to CD/DVD.

Someone else may know a quicker way to do this but here goes:

Exporting photos

You can export photos from your photo library or an album so you can send them to others or import them into another application.

1. Select the photo or photos you want to export.

2. Choose Share > Export.

3. Click the File Export button at the top of the Export Photos window.

4. In the File Export pane, change the desired options:

Format: Choose a file format for your exported images from the Format pop-up menu.

Size: If necessary, scale images to a specific size by specifying a maximum width and height.

Name: Choose whether to export photos with their filenames, iPhoto titles, or album name. Select the "Use extension" checkbox to add the file format extensions (such as ".jpg" or ".tiff") to the end of the photos' filenames, titles, or album names.

5. Click Export.

6. Choose a location for the photos you are exporting, then click OK.

OP
R

ratzz

Pulse-8 said:
Hi ratzz,

this info will explain the option of Exporting from iPhoto to a folder on your desktop, where you can then burn them to CD/DVD.

Someone else may know a quicker way to do this but here goes:

Exporting photos

You can export photos from your photo library or an album so you can send them to others or import them into another application.

1. Select the photo or photos you want to export.

2. Choose Share > Export.

3. Click the File Export button at the top of the Export Photos window.

4. In the File Export pane, change the desired options:

Format: Choose a file format for your exported images from the Format pop-up menu.

Size: If necessary, scale images to a specific size by specifying a maximum width and height.

Name: Choose whether to export photos with their filenames, iPhoto titles, or album name. Select the "Use extension" checkbox to add the file format extensions (such as ".jpg" or ".tiff") to the end of the photos' filenames, titles, or album names.

5. Click Export.

6. Choose a location for the photos you are exporting, then click OK.

Thanks Pulse - I'll give that a go.

I may need to get back to you!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.