New iMac Question (Memory)

O

OldGuyPete

Hi,

Happy to find this place. :) Question:

My girlfriend just bought a new 20" iMac (Dual Core) 2Ghz.

Came with 512 Memory.

I have a surprise for her (I HOPE she doesn't read this place!) ;)

Anyway... I ordred this:

DDR2 1GB PC2-5300 (667MHz) CL-5 SO-Dimm Patriot Signature PSD21G6672S

(Two of them) to replace the 512 that the machine came with. I figure I can throw the 512 on eBay or something and make somebody who only wants to double their memory happy... anyway).

That memory specs out the same, correct? How come then when I called Patriot and asked them they said it "should" work but because it is an Apple they can't promise it will? What the heck is up with that?

Am I ok? Or did I goof?

Thanks for reading,

Pete

OP
O

OldGuyPete

Edit: Sorry, I forgot to add that OutPost (where I bought it) says it will work. The rep even gave me his name (first and last) -- so *THAT* is why I'm so confused.

Ok, Thanks again.

OP
C

Ch@os

OldGuyPete said:
Hi,

Happy to find this place. :) Question:

My girlfriend just bought a new 20" iMac (Dual Core) 2Ghz.

Came with 512 Memory.

I have a surprise for her (I HOPE she doesn't read this place!) ;)

Anyway... I ordred this:

DDR2 1GB PC2-5300 (667MHz) CL-5 SO-Dimm Patriot Signature PSD21G6672S

(Two of them) to replace the 512 that the machine came with. I figure I can throw the 512 on eBay or something and make somebody who only wants to double their memory happy... anyway).

That memory specs out the same, correct? How come then when I called Patriot and asked them they said it "should" work but because it is an Apple they can't promise it will? What the heck is up with that?

Am I ok? Or did I goof?

Thanks for reading,

Pete

Sounds like it should be fine. I replaced the memory in my Imac with kingston memory of identical spec to what you have described.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 20" C2D, 2 Gig.
am doing the same, get a matched pair of 2Gig and sell the 512 that it came with.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac Intel Core Duo 2Ghz 20", MacBook Intel Core 2 Duo 2Ghz 13"
You should be fine as long as they match up to Apple's specs. I haven't seen any brand name problems. I have a couple of gig sticks comming in tomorrow acually, Corsair Value memory, $190 shipped from zipzoomfly. Can't wat till it comes in.. But the iMac Intel is already fast to me!! :)

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.