American Macs in UK

S

Studiotime

Hello everyone,

Can any of you guys tell me if American Machintosh equipment works in the uk, bar the obvious the plug...?

If not why?

OP
S

Studiotime

Was that a really stupid question?

I wanna buy a G5 and over there they are cheaper. Just dont wanna get one and then have some type of problem.

Reaction score
Hi Studiotime,

Are you planning to buy one online? Brand spankin' or 2nd hand? From Apple?

Need to know this info.....;)

OP
S

Studiotime

Planning to buy second hand from somebody on ebay... G5 approx 1.8ghz

Pulse-8 said:
Hi Studiotime,

Are you planning to buy one online? Brand spankin' or 2nd hand? From Apple?

Need to know this info.....;)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac G5 20" 2GB/250GB; MacBook 2.0GHz - 1Gb/80GB; iPod (video)60Gb
On a similar theme, I'll be making a trip over to "the Colonies" (NYNY) next month and was considering purchasing a MacPro (in standard configuration).

Ditto Studiline's question PLUS will I have any problems getting my student discount as I attend a British University?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook
Studiotime said:
Was that a really stupid question?

I wanna buy a G5 and over there they are cheaper. Just dont wanna get one and then have some type of problem.
By the time you pay the royalty and luxury taxes and fees, etc. at Customs in order to get it back to the UK, you will end up paying more.
Besides, you won't even be able to purchase one from the American Apple online store outside of the US. It would just direct you to the store for the UK.
There are several threads on this very topic on the Forums here that explain in much better detail than I can as to why you really can't purchase a Mac overseas and expect to save money or have it go easy. You will end up paying more, plain and simple.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
1st gen MacBook Pro - 15", 2.16GHz, 1G RAM, 100G HD
Not to mention the voltage differences - I don't think anyone did - 110v in the US vs 240v in the UK (and here in Aus). So in other words even if you got your UK plug and plugged a US Mac straight into UK mains then Boom! no more Mac. I'm pretty sure Macs used to have a voltage switch but not anymore, someone else might know? (If they do then feel free to ignore me entirely :) )

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Pro 8x3.0ghz 12gb ram 8800GT , MBP 2.16 2GB Ram 17 inch.
They automaticly adjust to voltage.

There are only 2 differences between american and uk macs.. those differences are in the keyboard, and the plug, but both are good.

Cam

Reaction score
'By the time you pay the royalty and luxury taxes and fees, etc. at Customs in order to get it back to the UK, you will end up paying more.'

But sir, I brought this computer with me on holiday, I bought it back in the uk...
Worked when I bought my gibson les paul a few years back, just make sure you make the box look tatty, like its been around a bit!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Aluminium Macbook 2.4 Ghz 4GB RAM, SSD 24" Samsung Display, iPhone 4, iPad 2
Theoretically they could ask you to produce a receipt later on...

Also make sure to check the power supply can adjust the voltage... I know the first generation of iMac G5 was only 110 OR 220 Volts. I think the newer ones are both though.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.