Is it possible to boot from an external hard drive on a Macbook?

M

Molly

Hello one and all, I'm new to the mac scene (sort of) and recently aquired a Macbook. My question is, is it possible to have a dual-boot system on the computer between the internal hdd and an external one. (think firewire) I know that it's possible with PC but I have NO clue if it's possible with mac. If more details are needed, I'll be happy to supply them.

Thanks,
Molly

Reaction score
yes it is, i think that it needs to be a firewire drive.

I have done it with a iMac and G5 before, and it work then, so it should in you situation.

Reaction score
Molly said:
Hello one and all, I'm new to the mac scene (sort of) and recently aquired a Macbook. My question is, is it possible to have a dual-boot system on the computer between the internal hdd and an external one. (think firewire) I know that it's possible with PC but I have NO clue if it's possible with mac. If more details are needed, I'll be happy to supply them.

Thanks,
Molly

Hi Molly,

This question has come up before and I found this thread:

Dual-Booting

OP
L

lem144

Molly said:

Thanks,
Molly

Yes, and I just did it last night. Create a disk image on your external drive and then hold Option when rebooting. You can select where to boot from that way. I have my external drive partitioned and it did not work too well, so I had to re-partition it (erasing data on it) for it to work. Now I have installed my new 160GB hdd in my macbook and it's working well. Good luck.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.