How's your MacBook casing holding up?

Reaction score
the top (behind the screen) is doing fine... but the bottom looks like sandpaper was taken to it. its on my lap a lot... and i don't wear sandpaper pants.

and the palm rests are looking dingy too. no matter how much i clean them, they just look dark and soiled.

i've only had the thing a month and a half.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook 1.83Ghz/512MB RAM
kevin_msu said:
the top (behind the screen) is doing fine... but the bottom looks like sandpaper was taken to it. its on my lap a lot... and i don't wear sandpaper pants.

and the palm rests are looking dingy too. no matter how much i clean them, they just look dark and soiled.

i've only had the thing a month and a half.

:rolleyes: I bought mine about 2 days earlier than you...mine still look new...maybe I didn't use it a lot... :)

OP
kevin_msu
Reaction score
TechnoPenguin said:
:rolleyes: I bought mine about 2 days earlier than you...mine still look new...maybe I didn't use it a lot... :)

maybe i have a defective case.... i dunno.

the top looks good. i used liquid glass on it (it makes my car look sweet :p)
i'll take some pics tommorrow and put them here. ya'll can be the judge.

i mean.. the most abrasive thing that it sets on is my jeans.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook 2.0GHz White, 512MB RAM, 60GB HDD
The bottom of my case doesn't look any more scratched than the top, although the little white feet have green spots for some reason. Your top case discolouration sounds like the standard macbook discolouration issue, and if you take it in they will swap that part for a new one that doesn't stain :)

Roo

Reaction score
The bottom of my Macbook looks sort of scratched, as does the top, but that's to be expected. I had a new case put on which replaced my defective, discolored old one.

kevin_msu - I had the same problem as you (and interestingly enough, I actually bought my Macbook on the same day as you did), and they replaced the case. Just call up Applecare, and they'll send you a box for you to ship it back to them in.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Black "ULTIMATE" 1GB RAM 80GBHDD 2.0GHZ Processor
Nothing is wrong with mine but i have a blackbook.

OP
kevin_msu
Reaction score
Roo said:
The bottom of my Macbook looks sort of scratched, as does the top, but that's to be expected. I had a new case put on which replaced my defective, discolored old one.

kevin_msu - I had the same problem as you (and interestingly enough, I actually bought my Macbook on the same day as you did), and they replaced the case. Just call up Applecare, and they'll send you a box for you to ship it back to them in.

sssswwweeet. i'm gonna call tommorrow. if they replace it for me, i'm so getting the invisishield
its been good to my iPod

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro M1 • iPhone 14 Pro • iPad Pro • iMac Retina 27"
Got my White Macbook in June, and I use it every day.

Still looks good as new. I must be one of the lucky ones. :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook 1.8,1Gb,80Gb
Yah my Macbook(white) also is scratched on the bottom quite a bit and the only thing it sets on besides a table is my jeans and it travels in an incase backpack with the special soft laptop compartment it also has the strange spots on its feet Ive only had mine for a few weeks I hope the cosmetic problems dont get progressively worse

OP
kevin_msu
Reaction score
just called apple.

he said its because i'm not using a special plastic cleaner.

i got the runaround.

this is BS.

Reaction score
OP
kevin_msu
Reaction score
update:

well i went to the apple store. we tried the twenty dollar 'special cleaner' to little avail. but the mac genius said it has to be closer to purple for it to be 'defective'

i guess i'll just like the thing run hot until it gets worse.

Reaction score
:ninja: Keep fighting KevenMSU, they finally gave in for me i kept telling them that this is not how a laptop should look only after 2 months use, and that they should just own up and fix a flaw that they designed. it was so wierd cause they where willing to help me with anything else but when it came to this issue it was like pulling teeth, but i finally was able to get it done none of them where happy to do it though hopefully they didnt spit inside my case haha. Keep up the good fight

OP
kevin_msu
Reaction score
devast8or said:
:ninja: Keep fighting KevenMSU, they finally gave in for me i kept telling them that this is not how a laptop should look only after 2 months use, and that they should just own up and fix a flaw that they designed. it was so wierd cause they where willing to help me with anything else but when it came to this issue it was like pulling teeth, but i finally was able to get it done none of them where happy to do it though hopefully they didnt spit inside my case haha. Keep up the good fight

did you just keep calling and calling?

with the fan firmware update, i don't think the damage will get much worse; my book runs a LOT cooler. so now i just have a dingy looking portable. its frustrating.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.0 macbook
so are you upset with the new firmware update? I love it.. runs alot nicer now.
Roo how long did it take apple to get that macbook to you?

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.