New to Apple, want to "upgrade" an iBook

L

lt1derful

I'm new to Apple. I've always wanted to purchase a Mac, but just never go around to it. I finally talked myself into buying one and while browsing, I found a killer deal. A 400Mhz iMac, a 300Mhz Powerbook and a 266Mhz iBook Clamshell. I got all of these with TONS of accessories for under $1000!!

Now, I've already planned to get the Sonnet 600Mhz iMac upgrade and the Sonnet G4 500Mhz Powerbook upgrades. Now...it's the iBook I want to start planning. It's already packing 576MG Ram, so I would like to get inside it and do something with the processor.

From what I've read, there's not much, if any, in the way of UPGRADES for the iBook. So, my question is what models could I search for to nab a logic/motherboard and CPU from? I haven't found any real documentation on what boards/CPUs are interchangeable, so anyone able to tell me or point me around the net? I would of course like to take it up as much as possible, but I don't care if it's only an even 300Mhz that I could move up to. Any information is greatly appreciated.

Thanks a lot!

DJ

OP
Z

Zach_C

uh......You might want to check those specs out. I believe that the clamshell has to be a 300 mhz. Apple did not make a 266 clamshell. As for the processor I believe you will be stuck at 300. I think that yu will be stuck with the 300. Even the paris clamshells were different enough to halt switching prosessors (If I am remembering correctly, can someone verify). 300 is enough to run panther well. Minimizing isn't the coolest looking thing though. Good news though that 3.2 or 6 gig hard drive is upgradable. There is documentation all over the net on that. If you need it post here or pm me and I'll dig one up for you.

OP
L

lzasitko

clamshell iBook

lt1derful said:
I'm new to Apple. I've always wanted to purchase a Mac, but just never go around to it. I finally talked myself into buying one and while browsing, I found a killer deal. A 400Mhz iMac, a 300Mhz Powerbook and a 266Mhz iBook Clamshell. I got all of these with TONS of accessories for under $1000!!

Now, I've already planned to get the Sonnet 600Mhz iMac upgrade and the Sonnet G4 500Mhz Powerbook upgrades. Now...it's the iBook I want to start planning. It's already packing 576MG Ram, so I would like to get inside it and do something with the processor.

From what I've read, there's not much, if any, in the way of UPGRADES for the iBook. So, my question is what models could I search for to nab a logic/motherboard and CPU from? I haven't found any real documentation on what boards/CPUs are interchangeable, so anyone able to tell me or point me around the net? I would of course like to take it up as much as possible, but I don't care if it's only an even 300Mhz that I could move up to. Any information is greatly appreciated.

Thanks a lot!

DJ

Zach_C is right there are no 266mhz clamshells. The first one was a 300mhz that was available in Blueberry, or Tangerine colours. The Clamshell SE was 366mhz and only available in Graphite colours. After then the iBooks gained a speed jump to 466mhz and gained a firewire port and were available in Indigo, Keylime and Graphite. They also gained a dvd drive. The Blueberry and Tangerine came with a 3gig hard drive and 32 meg or ram built in. The Graphite SE and 466mhz came with a 6 gig hard drive and 64 meg of ram built in. The 300 and 366mhz had a 4meg built in vidio card while the 466mhz came with a 8 meg video.

In all cases the max ram is not the 256meg that Apple publishes but 576meg (ie 64+512)

Sounds like a pretty good deal for 3 computers.

Larry

OP
L

lt1derful

Thanks guys.

Hmm...well, that's good news - there not being a 266Mhz Clamshell. That means I read wrong :D!! So, now I just have to find that email! OK, so it's at least a 300Mhz; I can live with that. I'm giving it to my girlfriend anyway, but I just wanted to make sure it could run Panther OK. I've got a 400Mhz and 333Mhz iMac(s) I play around with at work, they both sport Panther all right. The 400 handle the "genie" effect a little more cleanly.

So...as far as hardware swapping goes, it's not very possible to take the hardware out of say a 466Mhz Clam and stick it in a 300Mhz Clam and it work? I'm new to the "Mac hardware", I've only dealt with x86 hardware which is generally painless. Anyways, I guess a hard drive upgrade might be all that we need.

Thanks for the enlightenment...and good news, lol.

***NOW...since we know that the 256MB advertised limit isn't the case with the iBooks...has anyone tested the limits on the Wallstreet-G3 Powerbooks? Isn't it advertised as 512MB max? Mine is supposed to have 256, and I'll want to step that up as much as I can.

Thanks!

DJ

OP
L

lzasitko

clamshell

Don't think you ever said what colour your clamshell is, but the 366mhz was only the graphite colour, blueberry and Tangerine were the only 300's as far as any info I have shows. Indigo and KeyLime and Graphite colours were available for the 466.

No you can't take a 466 mhz board and put it in a 300 or 366, the 400's had a firewire port on the same side as the usb, modem and ethernet etc. so the bottom case would be different. Now I suppose if you could get the bottom case and main board it should work ;)

I really like my Graphite 366 and am planning on putting in a larger hard drive or maybe I will go to a larger external for storage space and leave the 6gig for esentials and system.

The 300 and 366 do not have the graphics card to support dvd, external or otherwise.

Larry

OP
L

lt1derful

lzasitko said:
Don't think you ever said what colour your clamshell is, but the 366mhz was only the graphite colour, blueberry and Tangerine were the only 300's as far as any info I have shows. Indigo and KeyLime and Graphite colours were available for the 466.

No you can't take a 466 mhz board and put it in a 300 or 366, the 400's had a firewire port on the same side as the usb, modem and ethernet etc. so the bottom case would be different. Now I suppose if you could get the bottom case and main board it should work ;)

I really like my Graphite 366 and am planning on putting in a larger hard drive or maybe I will go to a larger external for storage space and leave the 6gig for esentials and system.

The 300 and 366 do not have the graphics card to support dvd, external or otherwise.

Larry
I haven't received them yet, but I do know it is "Blue"....not sure what variant of blue, but blue nonetheless. So, I guess I'm looking at 300Mhz or 466Mhz. I'm sure I can make do either way. He didn't mention anything about firewire, so I'm assuming it is 300Mhz according to what you've indicated.

Thanks for all the help!

DJ

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.