MBP lost or stolen via DHL!!!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Pro 17" 2.6GHz 4GB RAM
Well, I shipped in my MBP last Friday to Apple to get the logic board replaced along with a few other things dealt with (the top of the speaker gives a bit and creaks when you press on it lightly, wifi "forgetting" settings while other computers work fine with my new Belkin router, failing to wake up from sleep quite a few times lately).

Checked the Repair status on Apple's site on Tuesday, since they should have gotten the laptop on Monday per DHL's site- showed Repair Pending. I thought that "Repair Pending" meant that they were working on it. Yesterday, I checked again and read carefully when Repair Pending meant and realized that it meant that they hadn't got the laptop yet. Emailed Apple to ask them if their website was wrong or had they really not gotten it yet.

Called DHL and they showed the laptop getting to their Texas depot on Monday morning- no record of it after that. Promised a call back within 6 hours- no call. Called again this morning, no news- promised a call back within 2 hours- no call. Called Apple on my way home from work- apparently they had taken my email and already assigned an internal person to investigate the issue with DHL. Unfortunately, the investigative/claim process takes 5 business days. They will replace my MBP if DHL can't find it.

So my questions are:
-Should I make a stink about it taking so long, seeing as how it's not Apple's fault?
-Is their a DHL racket going on at the Texas depot? I found it curious that the box Apple shipped me did not mention Apple's name on it anywhere, not even on the shipping label, just ACI. My guess is either it's misplaced or a DHL employee or two knows what ACI is and couldn't resist stealing my $2000 laptop.

Look forward to the responses.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
White MacBook @ 2ghz, 1 gig of ram, 100GB HDD
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Book Pro, 1.83 GHz, 1.5 gigs RAM, 80 GB, AND NO HEAT ISSUES!!
wait a little.....give them 2-3 days, then call apple FIRST, so that you know for SURE that it's DHL's fault, then raise **** at DHL.

OP
K
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Update...DHL finally called me, but has no news so far. They're "working with" Apple to resolve it. I emailed Apple asking them to just replace it and then work it out with DHL since I need the MBP badly in the near future for some work projects, but they refused.

OP
K
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Update- Apple finally finished their investigation with DHL and is shipping out a replacement tomorrow. Finally.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
G4 15" PowerBook 1.3Ghz, 1gb, 120gb hd
Well, at least you got a brand new unit out of this. And you will have two power supplies also.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 15", 3.06 GHz, 4GB DDR3 SDRAM, 500GB SATA hard drive, 8gb iPhone
BlueBacchus said:

**** YEAH! and over macbook pro stress mania!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 15", 3.06 GHz, 4GB DDR3 SDRAM, 500GB SATA hard drive, 8gb iPhone
karudzo said:
Update- Apple finally finished their investigation with DHL and is shipping out a replacement tomorrow. Finally.

YAY! enjoy! still i think you should sue them...for stress (it's legal)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" PBook G4 1.67/1.5GB
If there was any valuable work or information on your original MBP, open up legal action against DHL. Stolen intellectual property and identity theft are major!

OP
K
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I'm not the "suing" type- I would only do that in very drastic circumstances. Being the semi-paranoid person that I am, I backed up important data and wiped anything that needed to be.

Checked Fedex and it looks like my MBP will be delivered at 10:30am approx. tomorrow- yeah!

At least I'm getting a new unit and will have 2 remotes, 2 sets of software and 2 power supplies- so I guess that's a good thing!

Thanks for the advice though, guys.

OP
K
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Got my new MBP and it seems more "solid" if that makes since. No whining, no flex on the right speaker grill area, hinges seem to be less flexible, etc... Very pleased.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MacBook Pro, 13" MacBook Black, 15" iMac G4, 24" iMac (soon!)
Ya, I'd say that's one situation where getting your laptop stolen is actually a *good* thing. And I commend Apple for their no-nonsense action. They investigated, they communicated with you, and they sent you a replacement no questions asked.

Smart move to erase your data before sending in for a repair, btw. I do full reformats before giving Apple any computers to work on. You never know what the techs might decide to do, or in your case, who might intercept the computer!

Reaction score
karudzo said:
Being the semi-paranoid person that I am, I backed up important data and wiped anything that needed to be.

In this case, not so much a "semi-paranoid person", but a clued-up person as you had a contingency plan.

Enjoy your new MBP!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.