battery recall

Reaction score
Ok, I just heard on the news that the ibook batteries are being recalled. So, how do I know if I have one? I have an ibook.

OP
dolphin01
Reaction score
Thanks for the link. It seems that I do have one of the recalled batteries. But when I put in the serial number it says it's invalid. It gives a serial range of 3k429-3k611 and mine is 3k528. So, I guess I'll have to phone them tomorrow and see what's up with that.
Anyone have a battery on the recall list? If so, did you just take the battery out and use the power plug in?
If I do that, is it ok to leave that space open? I'm afraid dust and stuff will get in there.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iBook G4 OSX Tiger
dolphin01 said:
Thanks for the link. It seems that I do have one of the recalled batteries. But when I put in the serial number it says it's invalid. It gives a serial range of 3k429-3k611 and mine is 3k528. So, I guess I'll have to phone them tomorrow and see what's up with that.
Anyone have a battery on the recall list?
I had the same problem, it said my computer was eligible but my battery serial was invalid. Let me know what you find out if you call them.

OP
dolphin01
Reaction score
michaelstumpf said:
I had the same problem, it said my computer was eligible but my battery serial was invalid. Let me know what you find out if you call them.

Well, I'm glad I'm not the only one then. I'm calling tomorrow morning - so I'll let you know what they say.
Are you leaving your battery in?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iBook G4 OSX Tiger
dolphin01 said:
Well, I'm glad I'm not the only one then. I'm calling tomorrow morning - so I'll let you know what they say.
Are you leaving your battery in?
Yea, I won't take it out unless I have a problem.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
12" iBook G4 1.33Ghz
I have the same problem... It says my computer is eligible but not the battery.

Should I just make a visit to an Apple Store?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 24" 3.06GHz 4GB RAM 1TB | MacBook Pro 13" 2.53GHz 4GB RAM 640GB | 16GB iPhone 3G
My computer is a PowerBook, not an iBook, but I have the same problem with the "valid serial, invalid battery". I thought it was an error on my part, and nobody in the PowerBook forum has mentioned anything. I'm glad I came into this forum to find out I wasn't alone.

I called Apple Customer Service today and selected the Battery Recall hotline. An automated message directed me to the website, and then told me all technical service calls would be online-chat only as of Aug. 1, 2006. My call was then disconnected... :mad:

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook
You probably have already checked, but just to be clear, its more than just the serial number. You have to make sure that your battery model number matches as well. That might be why your serials are not being accepted. If the model number doesn't match, then you won't need one.
Still, it could just be a fluke with the system and it would be best to double check with Apple if both your battery's model number AND serial number fall under the guidelines.
I was able to do mine without a hitch.

OP
dolphin01
Reaction score
My model number does match. But, when exactly did you guys buys yours? I just found my receipt and I bought mine on July of 2005. I did a google search on these recalled batteries and the dates they show the recall is, October 2004 thru May 2005. So, I wonder if that is why it's invalid?? Even tho the numbers do match

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
12" iBook G4 1.33Ghz
D3v1L80Y said:
You probably have already checked, but just to be clear, its more than just the serial number. You have to make sure that your battery model number matches as well. That might be why your serials are not being accepted. If the model number doesn't match, then you won't need one.
Still, it could just be a fluke with the system and it would be best to double check with Apple if both your battery's model number AND serial number fall under the guidelines.
I was able to do mine without a hitch.

I checked on the webpage and my battery belongs to the model (A1061) and has a serial number that also fits in the range as listed on the website. But, I still got a eligible computer and NOT eligible battery.

I call the Authorised repairer in HK and they say as long as your battery fits the criteria set out on the webpage they can organise a replacement battery for you.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" iMac 2.0 GHz Intel Core Duo, 12" iBook G4 1.07 GHz
Wow, I'm somewhat relieved that you guys are having trouble with the website too. My battery's serial number is definitely within the range they listed, but when I enter the number it says it's invalid.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
Mine iBook Battery is in that range of Serial Numbers. I will try it and get back to you if it works or not. The Model and serial fit. Thanks DB for that info.

Edit: I just put my iBook though and both the iBook and Battery were approved. To the people who are having issues, are you putting in the FULL serial number or the battery and not just the first digits like on that recall page?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 24" 3.06GHz 4GB RAM 1TB | MacBook Pro 13" 2.53GHz 4GB RAM 640GB | 16GB iPhone 3G
I just tried again, and now it works!
It accepted both my PowerBook's serial number and my battery's serial number. I guess Apple fixed their website...

Apple will be shipping a new battery shortly.

C

catchawave

mine worked too this morning! I'm going to keep the battery in the ibook and using it, I hope I don't wreck it.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
12" iBook G4 1.33Ghz
Well, I just went to the Apple Authorised Repairer in HK after work today and they took my battery away. I asked how long till the new replacement battery arrives and they said it will roughly take 4-6 WEEKS!!

They said due to the big demand for replacement batteries, it will take at least 4 weeks. I don't know if you US or UK guys/gals have to wait that long for a replacement battery. But it seems in HK I do :(

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac G5 20" 2GB/250GB; MacBook 2.0GHz - 1Gb/80GB; iPod (video)60Gb
Shinji said:
Well, I just went to the Apple Authorised Repairer in HK after work today and they took my battery away. I asked how long till the new replacement battery arrives and they said it will roughly take 4-6 WEEKS!!

T:(

The website states that replacement batteries will be sent out before potentially faulty batteries are returned. I suppose this gives people the option to continue to use the battery at their own risk, perhaps taking extra precautions.

C

catchawave

That was one of my questions... whether or not to use the battery. I would rather not because IF the battery did overheat or my computer blew up, I would probably be SOL since I knew that that could happen right?
But how do you not use the battery without taking it out and having that gaping whole on the bottom?? I don't want dust and such to get in there and have more problems.
Why isn't there a cap to cap that off without the battery??

C

catchawave

OH I see I have two different screen names going on! Because I use 2 different computers. My desktop is an eMac and my laptop is an ibook. I forgot my password and had to re-do another account for some reason on my ibook. One of these days, I'll get myself going on just one. So for those of you who are confused.... that's what happened.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
12" iBook G4 1.33Ghz
I got my replaced battery last week! But the only catch is, the battery has only 90-days warranty FROM the day the battery it arrived at the repairer and NOT the day you collect it.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.