Shut Down or Sleep?

Reaction score
Is it better to be always shutting the MBP down, or should I just let it sleep?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook 2.0GHz White, 512MB RAM, 60GB HDD
It's generally better to let it sleep, unless you're going to be leaving it for more than a couple of days. You should get about 100 hours out of sleep time out of it, but don't bank on it. I only shut my macbook down for updates and it's fine.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Pro 8x3.0ghz 12gb ram 8800GT , MBP 2.16 2GB Ram 17 inch.
It is not better for your computer letting it sleep or shutting it down. Both turn the hard drive off, the only thing is sleep does not turn the ram off so it will turn back on faster. It does not use alot of battery power and that is why i leave my powerbook to sleep. Its just a convienence thing, if you want it to come on faster later let it sleep.

I

iRizzo

What about when you're transporting it somewhere? Is it okay to let it sleep and not shut it off?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook 2.0GHz White, 512MB RAM, 60GB HDD
As long as the disk is off, it's fine to move the machine around. The disk goes off during sleep, and on the newer machines it will go off if you move the machine while it's running thanks to the motion sensor. Of course, this is only for sudden movements that could damage the disk, rather than any motion at all, but these machines were designed to move around while powered up.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" iMac G5 2.0Ghz 1GB || MBP 2.0GhzCDuo 2GB || TV || iPhone || Airport Extreme
So, is it bad if I turn my computer off when going from one class to the next?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.0 GHz Macbook Pro, 1.5 GB RAM.....1.83 GHz Macbook 1 GB RAM
not neccesarily bad per se.....just totally unnecessary.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.