MacBook Memory

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 2.5 GHz, 2 GB RAM, 250 GB HD
I am going to purchse some memory for my MacBook, most likely 2gb, and i was wondering if the 667 was all that much faster than the 553?
Thanks

A

Abira_Kam

guys... I wanna add 1 gig for my Macbook... and..the quest is what would be better 1 gig or 2 x 512 mb???

OP
CarlConti08
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
if u plan on ever upgrading anymore than that, go with the 1 gig, but if ur just gonna stick with 1gb, go with the 2 512mb. Apple says that inorder to get top performance from the memory u should fill both slots with the same memory size. whether theres a performance drop when using just one, im not sure, but i kno theres a boost with two of the same. so i guess after all that crap, id go with the two 512s. its cheaper and from what ive heard thats plenty of memory for most. i, on the other hand, want to max out my macbook cause this is my last laptop for a long time. i havent even gone to college yet and this will most likely be the computer ill be taking with me and using everyday for the next 6-12yrs!

OP
CarlConti08
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
oh yea, does ne one kno if its bad that i purchased pc2-5400 ram instead of pc2-5300? i noticed that the standard ram is pc2-5300. am i going to have problems or potentially damage my macbook?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook(W) 2Gb, 2Ghz & Bluetooth Mighty Mouse, Now my Apple glows colours, Red Apple and Green Leaf.
Running PC2-5400 wont damage your MacBook as the MacBook can only run at PC-5300 speeds so far. Getting faster RAM than the system can handle could possibly be a bonus too as the system my be able to handle the slight increase and stop bottlenecking on data transfer. I run my desktop PC with faster ram then the sytem can handle and thats been fine for years.

If there is ever a firmware update to allow you to take advantage of such RAM then your already set but this also depends on a few other factors like the chipset of the overall system.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.