Student Discounts

P

Perniks

I'm a student in high school and i'm trying to get a student discount on a mac off the apple website. The problem is, i've heard that you can only get the discount if you're in college. on the other hand, i've heard you can get it as long as your school is on the list. Well, mine is on the list, but this is what it says:

Who is Eligible To Purchase
The following education individuals are eligible to purchase through the Apple Store for Education individuals:

Employee of public or private K-12 institutions in the United States
School Board members who are currently serving as elected or appointed members
PTA or PTO executives currently serving as elected or appointed officers
Qualified homeschools
Employee of a public or private, profit or non-profit preschool

Can i still get the discount, or would i be better off having one of my cousins (who are in college) get it for me?

OP
P

PowerbookG417

yah...with those options your not going to be able to get one however you might be able to talk to the school board and see what they can do for you..or yah get your cousin to get it for you

OP
K

Kathie

I must admit, as someone who plans to order my first iMac soon, I am disappointed there are no incentives to switch. Like you, I searched for something, anything, as an incentive to purchase a Mac. One would think at a time when almost all the major PC manufactureres are offering upgrades of some sort, Apple would offer something too. Not so, unfortunately.

OP
K

kjellquist

<<Like you, I searched for something, anything, as an incentive to purchase a Mac.>>

isn't the Mac itself an incentive to switch....find a teacher friend to order.

OP
P

Perniks

PowerbookG417 said:
yah...with those options your not going to be able to get one however you might be able to talk to the school board and see what they can do for you..or yah get your cousin to get it for you

so how do they verify that you actually go to the given school?

OP
P

PowerbookG417

how can you ask for any insentive...there is no need...just owning a mac is enough...never having to worry about it crashing, and next to nill as far as problems...if you ask me...thast was enough for me to switch

OP
J

JRJ26

i have a similar question. For Colleges/Universities, it says that the discount applies to those accepted or attending to those schools. Well, i've been accepted to Penn State, but I'm waiting until April for my other decisions. So, would I be able to buy a Mac with the discount even though I'm not sure that i want to attend Penn State(b/c it says those accepted)?

OP
K

Kathie

PowerbookG417 said:
how can you ask for any insentive...there is no need...just owning a mac is enough...never having to worry about it crashing, and next to nill as far as problems...if you ask me...thast was enough for me to switch

Therein lies the rub, for those of us who have never used a Mac before we don't know exactly what to expect., other than what we have heard or read. In that situation, an incentive of some sort might be a little more convincing. :)

OP
K

Kev0192

I just ordered a eMac last week with the educational discount. My school was in the list but there was no verification that I was currently a student. (even though I am) so I don't know what's in place for them to verify the student discount even if you pick a school that is close to you.

OP
H

HeavyMetalG0d

use ur cuz.

apple doesnt even check. and besides, its just stealing from our nazi government.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 2.6 GHz Core 2 Duo 4GB RAM OS 10.5.2
Not to get into a political arguement, but if you have studied the nazi's at all.. our government.. at this point, is far from that.

And on the actual subject at hand, I do believe you need a valid student ID.. which if you have just been accepted.. Im not sure that would qualify. The best way to find out is by calling the Apple Store.

Cheers!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" iMac C2D 2.16ghz, 13" MacBook 2.0ghz, 60gb iPod vid, 1gb nano
At the apple stores you need an ID but from the apple.com Store you can buy pretty much anything and they don't check

OP
H

hokiethang

JRJ26 said:
i have a similar question. For Colleges/Universities, it says that the discount applies to those accepted or attending to those schools. Well, i've been accepted to Penn State, but I'm waiting until April for my other decisions. So, would I be able to buy a Mac with the discount even though I'm not sure that i want to attend Penn State(b/c it says those accepted)?

The apple store online submits a request to the university that you list on the order to verify that you are in their records. They do check, its just doesnt involve you. (I know this because the registrar called me asking me for verification to give apple to verify the information.) You may be able to get away with it, but it probably would be best to wait until you accept the school's invitation so you are entered into their registrar's database. If it comes back you do not attend the school they charge the difference in retail and student prices to your credit card. I know this as well because I called them after ordering my powerbook and asked them if I needed to fax them my ID and I was told that they check with the university first, then if the university doesnt have you on record, they call and ask for a copy of a valid ID, and if you cant provide that they charge you the difference.

OP
J

JWilsonphoto

Murlyn said:
Not to get into a political arguement, but if you have studied the nazi's at all.. our government.. at this point, is far from that.

And on the actual subject at hand, I do believe you need a valid student ID.. which if you have just been accepted.. Im not sure that would qualify. The best way to find out is by calling the Apple Store.

Cheers!
Murlyn, you have my respect!

Regards,

Jim Wilson

OP
M

myuhnke

hokiethang said:
The apple store online submits a request to the university that you list on the order to verify that you are in their records. They do check, its just doesnt involve you. (I know this because the registrar called me asking me for verification to give apple to verify the information.) You may be able to get away with it, but it probably would be best to wait until you accept the school's invitation so you are entered into their registrar's database. If it comes back you do not attend the school they charge the difference in retail and student prices to your credit card. I know this as well because I called them after ordering my powerbook and asked them if I needed to fax them my ID and I was told that they check with the university first, then if the university doesnt have you on record, they call and ask for a copy of a valid ID, and if you cant provide that they charge you the difference.

That's a shame, I wish they would they have put that on the site somewhere, I scoured around and couldn't find anything. Look's like I'm out $100 dollars.

rman

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14in MacBook Pro M1 Max 32GB 2TB
If you use the on-line Apple store. They call the school that you give and verify that you are a student there. I am not sure what they do at the brick and mortar Apple store.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.