Should I or shouldn't I?

S

Seba-Argentina

Hello all who read this...

I've been wanting to buy the white MacBook for the longest time, and I've been researching a whole lot and reading multiple reviews, not only written by computer magazines and the like, but also from individual owners of the MacBook.

They have been overall good reviews, giving high recognition and praise to MacBook...

However, recently I've read some reviews concerning sudden shut-offs, screen problems, etc...

I'm wondering if it's kind of like the MacBook Pro, where Apple came out with it very recently, and now some of the batteries are being recalled...

Are these just horror stories? Is the MacBook really worth it?

Any feedback will be appreciated! :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Pro Core2Duo, 2.33Ghz, 2GB Ram, 15.4"
My girlfriend bought one within about a week of it's release. We did have some pretty serious heat issues but that's now been fixed with a new logic board plus the new SMC update. That little headache aside, it's a fantastic machine, the heat has been the only problem really.

I think the heat was the most common issue with the Macbook in general and that's now been rectified I believe, I think the rest are just horror stories.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black MacBook. Once you go black, you never go back. 2.0 Ghz Intel Core Duo; 2 GB RAM; 80 GB HDD
Seba-Argentina said:
Hello all who read this...

I've been wanting to buy the white MacBook for the longest time, and I've been researching a whole lot and reading multiple reviews, not only written by computer magazines and the like, but also from individual owners of the MacBook.

They have been overall good reviews, giving high recognition and praise to MacBook...

However, recently I've read some reviews concerning sudden shut-offs, screen problems, etc...

I'm wondering if it's kind of like the MacBook Pro, where Apple came out with it very recently, and now some of the batteries are being recalled...

Are these just horror stories? Is the MacBook really worth it?

Any feedback will be appreciated! :)

I have the Blackbook and I love it. I had problems with it shutting off randomly, but Apple replaced the logic board b/c it was still under warranty. They just recently updated the firmware for the fans so it runs much cooler than before. I'm not sure what screen problems there are, but I've never had one.

OP
S

Seba-Argentina

sjtaylor84 said:
My girlfriend bought one within about a week of it's release. We did have some pretty serious heat issues but that's now been fixed with a new logic board plus the new SMC update. That little headache aside, it's a fantastic machine, the heat has been the only problem really.

I think the heat was the most common issue with the Macbook in general and that's now been rectified I believe, I think the rest are just horror stories.

Thank you so much for your help!!

OP
S

Seba-Argentina

fasheezy said:
I have the Blackbook and I love it. I had problems with it shutting off randomly, but Apple replaced the logic board b/c it was still under warranty. They just recently updated the firmware for the fans so it runs much cooler than before. I'm not sure what screen problems there are, but I've never had one.

Thanks so much for the feedback!! So when Apple replaced the logic board, was this covered under your standard one year warranty?

Reaction score
Go buy one ! There's not a better laptop for portable use out there, unless you want a Windows machine (not likely!)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" iMac G5, 4G 40gb, G4 iBook
My friend just bought a new Macbook (2.0ghz 1GB RAM) and I was using it pretty heavily yesterday (garageband, dling, adium). It ran like a dream and did not even really get that hot.

I would definately go for a MacBook but get the Applecare just incase. If you live by an Apple store then ProCare is priceless.

best of luck

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Black "ULTIMATE" 1GB RAM 80GBHDD 2.0GHZ Processor
You should get it. I've had mine for about 7 weeks. No problems here. The ones you buy should not have any bugs but i would reccomend applecare=3years of warranty happiness

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.0 macbook
If I remember correctly the batteries that were being recalled were of g4's the older models all have been replaced by newer models. The heat is really not a issue. the new update that came out for the macbooks fixed that issue. (runs fan always at low speed. cant hear it unless your sleeping on the keyboard)

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.