AppleCare

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15.4" MBP Sep 09, 2.66Ghz C2D, 4Gb Ram, 320Gb HDD 7200rpm, 10.6.x / iPod Touch 8Gb
Well I'm now fully ready to buy an iMac (which will be the 20" lol)
Is Apple Care really worth the money? are Macs reliable?

Any experience with AppleCare? The extra software included all That" ?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook
BlooGrape said:
The extra software included all That" ?
There isn't any software included with AppleCare. Its just an extension to your warranty.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Pro 2.6ghz Quad Xeon, 23" Cinema
Luckily you don't have to buy applecare when you buy your apple computer. I bought applecare for my powerbook G4 when my 1-year warranty expired. I am glad I did, I had a hard drive failure this year and it was replaced for free under applecare. The parts & labor cost for that fix alone was what teh cost of the applecare was.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" 1.83ghz MBP/ 1.5gbRAM/ 250gb ext hdd/ 19" external display/ MX Laser mouse/ Sony w810 cell/
Here's my advice.. buy the apple care 6 months into your purchase. But today, run, dont walk..RUN to the apple store and get the Pro Care card. All these guys on here whining and complaining about how long it takes to get stuff done, the Pro Care card gives you a guarenteed turn around time of 24 hours, gets you one on one classes once a week with a genius, gives you priortiy when making appointments, etc.

Trust me, the combo of the applecare AND the Pro Care card... they take care of you almost like you're stevie J.

Good luck.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" iMac G5, 4G 40gb, G4 iBook
I would definately buy AppleCare. You are spending good money for your computer and you should protect your investment with applecare. You might never need it but it gives you peace of mind, and if you do need it you will be thankful you got it.

AppleCare is like condoms. It's better to have it and not need it, then need it and not have it.

good luck

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" iMac 2.16 ghz. 1 gb ram. 250 GB HDD. Screamer! 2gb ipod nano. 17 in powerbook G4 1.67/1 Gb/120gb
^^^LOL, Good point! I have apple care and I think it is good to have. Although i do think it is really pricey. I have called apple care for a couple of stupid questions and they help you out, but they need time. They are not that knowledgable, sometimes I figure it out before they find the article in there computer. My friend had a problem with his notebook speakers and called apple care, and claimed the guy just told him to see if they work later and call back. If you have the money to spend get it, if your your tight forget about it because it is pricey. But honestly on the imac its only 169 i think which isnt bad. Powerbook is 349 which is way to high!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Pro 2.6 GHz, 4 GB, 200 GB, 256MB Vid
so far i have not purchased it, but ::knocks on wood-like paneling:: i haven't had a reason too.......

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 20" core duo 2ghz; OS-X 10.4.7; 2gbram; 256mb graphics; 250gbHD; delivered 6/14/06
BlooGrape said:
Well I'm now fully ready to buy an iMac (which will be the 20" lol)
Is Apple Care really worth the money? are Macs reliable?

Any experience with AppleCare? The extra software included all That" ?

About two months into the same unit you're buying. (Has been reliable as a stone, by the way. Zero trouble.) Have AppleCare and ProCare. Don't know real value of AppleCare other than being able to talk with a knowledgeable English-speaker without a long wait when I have to -- which is a HUGE difference compared with my PC experience.

ProCare is the deal of the century if you're close to an Apple Store. Scheduled one-on-one instruction has been terrific for me. Take my own machine in for every session and solve my problems one-on-one with my own personal data and intentions. Really great.

If I was buying again today, I'd do it all the same way. Every PC Iv'e ever owned I've always spent more than that within the first year hiring techs to come on-site and straighten things out that the highly-touted "world class service and support" offered (a huge joke with Dell, Gateway, and HP which I've owned) either couldn't figure out or completly screwed up when they tried to. Maybe I'm exceptional, but based on my experience that way, I regard AppleCare and ProCare as "free".

Reaction score
Depends on how lucky you are. Personally i never buy extended care warantees on anything. Been into computers over 25 years and have never needed the extended warantee. Hmmm, maybe my luck is about to run out, i may need to get one....(G)

OP
A
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15.4" MBP Sep 09, 2.66Ghz C2D, 4Gb Ram, 320Gb HDD 7200rpm, 10.6.x / iPod Touch 8Gb
So i dont need to purchase this with the PC i can just get it some months after?
Procare Card.. unsure if i can get this as im in the uk?

Im sorry but i thought there was software included for basic diagnostics.. i was wrong sorry.

If the AppleCare is not needed on day of purchase and i can get it few months after il do that. Condom theory got me! lol

Reaction score
you have a year to decide... you can get it anytime before your orig. warranty expires.

use your 'puter for 9 months and then decide.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17" MacBook Pro, 8GB iPhone
AppleCare is worth every penny, it saved me over $3,500 in repairs.

Reaction score
^
i wouldn't doubt it.

apple, dell, hp ... whatever you get, it's all just components slammed together in china and shipped out.

anything can happen.

OP
A
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
kevin_msu said:
^
i wouldn't doubt it.

apple, dell, hp ... whatever you get, it's all just components slammed together in china and shipped out.

anything can happen.
Might be true but i like to think my new iMac was created in heaven buy Apple engineers taking time and ease with each machine.. dusting it when its been over 1minute and polishing after each touch lol

Only kidding.

Reaction score
BlooGrape said:
Im sorry but i thought there was software included for basic diagnostics.. i was wrong sorry.

You can use the OS X install discs for basic diagnostics when things go belly-up.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" iMac C2D 2.16ghz, 13" MacBook 2.0ghz, 60gb iPod vid, 1gb nano
Its saved me over 1200 bucks

Reaction score
Soon as I can I'll be checking out if Pro Care is available here. Got 2mths left on initial 1 yr warranty and after 1 logic board and 2 screen replacements on my iMac G5, I'll definately be purchasing the extended AppleCare Protection.

Reaction score
BlooGrape said:
Might be true but i like to think my new iMac was created in heaven buy Apple engineers taking time and ease with each machine.. dusting it when its been over 1minute and polishing after each touch lol

Only kidding.

then i guess there's a reason why all dogs go to heaven...

Reaction score
keep in mind that almost all credit cards double your warranty. So you are really getting two years when you buy the computer. So your really only getting one extra year. Plus by then your computer has significantly deprecated in value. AppleCare, really any extended warranty is a huge cash cow for manufactures.

Reaction score
climbguy said:
keep in mind that almost all credit cards double your warranty. So you are really getting two years when you buy the computer. So your really only getting one extra year. Plus by then your computer has significantly deprecated in value. AppleCare, really any extended warranty is a huge cash cow for manufactures.

what credit cards are your talking about?

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.