Virus Program, Firewall, Backup Program

Reaction score
I am switching from PC to Mac now and have a question. I know in the Mac field there are far fewer virus issues but I assume that still some type of virus program is needed as well as a firewall. Is this true and if so which one is best? With the PC I use Norton for viruses, zonealarm for firewall.
As well, I am always careful about hard drive backups. I do them to DVD-R. On the PC I have used PC Backup but mostly use Acronis. What is a good backup program for the Mac or is this built in?
Thanks in advance for any help.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
3.4 Ghz i7 MacBook Pro (2015), iPad Pro (2014), iPhone Xs Max. Apple TV 4K
No virus program is needed as there are no viruses. If you feel the need, just on principle, then I'd recommend ClamexAV. OSX has a built in Firewall that works well.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13-inch 2.4GHz Intel Core 2 Duo MacBook
markw10 said:
I know in the Mac field there are far fewer virus issues but I assume that still some type of virus program is needed as well as a firewall.

fewer? try none.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 17" Intel Core Duo 1.83GHz 512 MB Ram 128 vRAM 60GB HD
markw10 said:
I am switching from PC to Mac now and have a question. I know in the Mac field there are far fewer virus issues but I assume that still some type of virus program is needed as well as a firewall. Is this true and if so which one is best? With the PC I use Norton for viruses, zonealarm for firewall.
As well, I am always careful about hard drive backups. I do them to DVD-R. On the PC I have used PC Backup but mostly use Acronis. What is a good backup program for the Mac or is this built in?
Thanks in advance for any help.

No viruses. NONE. Hard to believe, I know.

Firewall's built in, you can turn it on in System Preferences.

Backups: You can either use Disk Utility, burn straight from a burn folder, or use Toast 7 Titanium. I suggest toast, although it is a bit expensive it has a lot of great burning features.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.