Dismantling a G4 mac

M

Murphy575

Hi.

I am moving to england from sweden next week, and really dont wanna buy a new mac when I arrive.

I think its a G4 (its not one unit, like a TV or summin, but the monitor comes out of the base unit, on a silver arm thingy)

Anyhow, I am NOT going to check it in, and I have weighed it and it will be able to come as hand luggage, but I need to take the monitor off from the base unit, so I can conform to the size restrictions on hand luggage.

It has three little holes in what i suppose is some form of bolt. I didnt put it together, so I have no idea how to take it apart, but I believe it can be done...

any help would be really cool.

Thanks!

OP
M

Murphy575

Pulse-8 said:
Hi Murphy575 and welcome to Mac-Forums!

I found this , hope it helps.

thanks for looking for me, however it dont tell me how to take it off (or on) but it gave me an idea of what I expect to find *shudders*

I expected it to be "remove this bold and pull" kinda thing :(

Anyone actually done this before, can it be done is the age old question, well actually, a question I just thought of a few hours ago, but nevertheless, can it be done?

Reaction score
The only other info I've been able to dig up so far is that you'll be needing a Torx screwdriver, and maybe Needlenose Pliers.

Seeing as all the cables from the screen to the logic board run through the centre of the neck, it doesn't look like an easy task.

OP
M

Murphy575

Its actually my girlfriends mac, I got a PC at home in london and its in demand all the time, both of us want to be on it at the same time and of course we cant really, so the theory was that we could bring her mac (that she is in love with) back and network them. I was going to get all the networking bits here in Sweden, 2morro, so i thought while she is out I would try take it off, It was then I had a macmergency (excuse the bad pun)

A word of advice. NEVER EVER NEVER EVER take apart the neck. I did and it poped open and boy is it hard to get back 2gether. A spring was the problem, and jesus its one hard spring to pull back into the right slots.

Eventually after about an hour of franticly trying with all sorts, i did it, and thank god the screen still works.

just a warning, she will be heartbroken that we cant take it back, no way is it getting checked in and the whole lot is to big for hand luggage.

I will tell her its not possiable, we both thought you could take the neck apart then unbold it. that is not the case, so DO NOT DO IT

thanks for you help anyway, this is one of the reasons I pref PC over Mac

OP
M

Murphy575

go? im going? where?

macbook good, money bad, *is poor*

Dont get me wrong, I like macs, but I pref PC. Yes mac is more stable, yes PCs are slow and pretty crap, but they are compatiable, and you can take them to bits, and put them back together without any hardship.

OP
M

Murphy575

Yeah that is a point... not until next week thou

anyway, we are going back :p we (me and my GF) live there, we came back for 2 reasons, in this order:

1) Pick up mac
2) See parents and sisters etc

All is not lost however. Hand luggage max is 10kg each person. The whole unit (inc monitor) is 9kg, so now we find a bag big enough for it to fit in, but small enough to conform to the size restrictions lol

OP
M

Murphy575

lol thanks. Im still going to do some research on just how to take the monitor off the stupid thing. If anyone has done this before, then I would be very happy to here from you...

OP
M

Murphy575

Panic Over, managed to get hold of a bag that should be small enough to be hand luggage but big enough to fit the mac, so no more taking things apart for me

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.