Don't Shoot

M

MrJacknCoke

Hi.
okay i don't wanna get a :eek:neye: over this, but i have a strange question. I own a G5 imac and i am 100 % happy with it. a question was thrown my way earlier today and i was wondering if anyone here had an answer, a friend of mine was wanting to know if u could completly remove the mac os from a new intel mac and install xp. he wants to know if he can make the new quad a pure gaming monster. now its to my understanding that if you install bootcamp you are still devoting 100% of the mac's resources to windows when that os is chosen. thanks again. take care.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" iMac C2D 2.16ghz, 13" MacBook 2.0ghz, 60gb iPod vid, 1gb nano
You can not run only XP. You can use bootcamp, and when you run XP it uses all of the machines resources because OS X isn't loaded

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" iMac 2.0 GHz Intel Core Duo, 12" iBook G4 1.07 GHz
Yes, you can completely remove OS X. When you load Windows you can delete the OS X partition and be left with just Windows. I read about someone doing it.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro | LED Cinema Display | iPhone 4 | iPad 2
dohidied said:
Yes, you can completely remove OS X. When you load Windows you can delete the OS X partition and be left with just Windows. I read about someone doing it.
However that's completely stupid to do. If you don't have OS X, you can't use Bootcamp to create driver CDs nor can you create updated driver CDs when Apple updates Bootcamp like it recently did.

OP
S

Sydrocentric

I you arn't using osX, you don't need to update bootcamp!
Problems with Driver CDs

It’s important to realize that sometimes a CD with drivers won’t run as desired. For example, the ViewSonic CD didn’t work for us. Sometimes, double clicking on the CD drive letter will start the CD and it will run then. Sometimes, it still won’t run, but, possibly, the drivers are on the CD and fully usable. Using Device Manager to find the device and then selecting its properties and using the “Update Driver” to start the Windows Hardware Update Wizard will find and successfully install the drivers from the CD.

If you have difficulty installing a driver, try the various approaches: First, just try to run the CD that came with the hardware. Insert the CD and wait. If it doesn’t autorun, double click on the CD drive letter and see what happens. Maybe, it will run and install the driver.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" 1.83ghz MBP/ 1.5gbRAM/ 250gb ext hdd/ 19" external display/ MX Laser mouse/ Sony w810 cell/
MrJacknCoke said:
Hi.
okay i don't wanna get a :eek:neye: over this, but i have a strange question. I own a G5 imac and i am 100 % happy with it. a question was thrown my way earlier today and i was wondering if anyone here had an answer, a friend of mine was wanting to know if u could completly remove the mac os from a new intel mac and install xp. he wants to know if he can make the new quad a pure gaming monster. now its to my understanding that if you install bootcamp you are still devoting 100% of the mac's resources to windows when that os is chosen. thanks again. take care.

I Know schweb I know.. we talked about this .. but REALLY! Come on man, even you agree.. someone that does this... OMG.. seriously they need to be put on prozac or something. Jesus, its almost like walking nude into church and pissing on the altar! Why oh WHY would you spend all that money, then just totally wipe out os x? Frackin windows fanboys wont admit that x is jsut so much better than their prized xp.

Oh oh oh... its the hardware he's after. ::::rollingeyes::: jesus man you can build the same system for about half the price...i think. Well maybe for at least 3/4 of the price. God buying a Mac, wiping the OS and putting on xp is like buying a ferrari and ..... god just thinking about it gives me a headache..

:::wheresmyuglystick?:::::::

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 17" Intel Core Duo 1.83GHz 512 MB Ram 128 vRAM 60GB HD
bishopazrael said:
I Know schweb I know.. we talked about this .. but REALLY! Come on man, even you agree.. someone that does this... OMG.. seriously they need to be put on prozac or something. Jesus, its almost like walking nude into church and pissing on the altar! Why oh WHY would you spend all that money, then just totally wipe out os x? Frackin windows fanboys wont admit that x is jsut so much better than their prized xp.

Oh oh oh... its the hardware he's after. ::::rollingeyes::: jesus man you can build the same system for about half the price...i think. Well maybe for at least 3/4 of the price. God buying a Mac, wiping the OS and putting on xp is like buying a ferrari and ..... god just thinking about it gives me a headache..

well, you said everything I needed to say, so there's no need to double post.

OP
M

MrJacknCoke

bishopazrael said:

i don't know sir. i can't think of any other motherboard out there that will support 16 gb of memory, quad xeon and all the other bells and whistles. and again guys, i love the mac os. i barely use my rig anymore after buying my imac, just wondering if it was possible. Thanks alot for all the feedback.
dohidied, do u have a link regarding the removal, i will just fwd it to my friend and go out and sell more macs ( i work for an electronics company, and i am the guy who sells the most macs) so that should redeem myself. thanks again guys.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
bishopazrael said:
Why oh WHY would you spend all that money, then just totally wipe out os x? Frackin windows fanboys wont admit that x is jsut so much better than their prized xp.

It doesn't matter why people want to uninstall OS X. It's their money and their computer. I don't advocate taking OS X off your Mac, but I'm certainly not going to stop someone from doing it. And the thing about Windows fanboys is that they're just as annoying as Mac fanboys. Blind allegiance to anything, especially an operating system, is flawed. I don't know why Windows fanboys should admit that OS X is better. I love OS X, but I don't believe for a second that it's perfect for everybody.

bishopazrael said:
God buying a Mac, wiping the OS and putting on xp is like buying a ferrari and ..... god just thinking about it gives me a headache..

Dude, Macs are Ferraris now? If you mean that they look nice but have shoddy quality I'll agree. But otherwise....wow.

Listen, I'm not trying to start another flame war here. I just think that we shouldn't be so quick to judge people for what they do to their computers. Not every solution is perfect for every person. We all have to figure out what works best for ourselves. :)

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
All I will say is this, If you completely ZAP OSX, you can not install the latest bootcamp. Why is that important? Bootcamp even with the latest update has driver issues with the Mac Pro. Read Anands BLOG on Anandtech. In WINDOWS XP the HDD's operate like old PIO drives with maybe 4MB per second transfer rate. If there is no OSX, there is no way to install the new Bootcamp to correct this problem when it is fixed. So no matter what you want to do, It's still silly to zap OSX all the way. Keep a Small install at least for the bootcamp updates which right now are very important.

Otherwise I agree, it's your computer and you can do what you want. All I am trying to do is help people not make it hard later to fix things when updates come out.

Here is a URL to that BLOG.

http://www.anandtech.com/weblog/default.aspx?bid=287

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
dtravis7 said:
All I will say is this, If you completely ZAP OSX, you can not install the latest bootcamp. Why is that important? Bootcamp even with the latest update has driver issues with the Mac Pro. Read Anands BLOG on Anandtech. In WINDOWS XP the HDD's operate like old PIO drives with maybe 4MB per second transfer rate. If there is no OSX, there is no way to install the new Bootcamp to correct this problem when it is fixed. So no matter what you want to do, It's still silly to zap OSX all the way. Keep a Small install at least for the bootcamp updates which right now are very important.

Otherwise I agree, it's your computer and you can do what you want. All I am trying to do is help people not make it hard later to fix things when updates come out.

Wow, I hadn't heard about that issue. I agree that keeping OS X around for driver updates is probably a good idea. But I'm sure you could find someone who would be willing to send you and iso of the driver CD.

OP
M

MrJacknCoke

Thanks dohidied for your link, i read it over, pity he didn't go into detail, but atleast we know its possible and i appreciate your openmindedness...but i guess that is a good point about the drivers. maybe a good solution would be to wait for the last version of bootcamp before leapord and put that on, then again if my buddy is just using it for gaming, that wouldn't really matter. I'll be in touch with my buddy soon, and hopefully i can convince him 2 experiment and some more ppl off. lol, ofcourse thats not our intent. he just wants to go home turn on his machine and make blowing up a few zombies look easy... thanks again and any more suggestions would be grately appreciated.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
Keep an eye on Anandtech as they will be releasing Part 3 of their Mac Pro coverage with Full Bootcamp testing, CPU replacing, and many other interesting things he did not cover in the other part.

rman

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14in MacBook Pro M1 Max 32GB 2TB
The only thing to remember is that the current version of bootcamp will be expiring at some date, since it is still beta software.

OP
M

MrJacknCoke

rman said:
The only thing to remember is that the current version of bootcamp will be expiring at some date, since it is still beta software.

whoa, now this is something new. i didn't know that... appreciate the heads up.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I think it expires sometime next year. By then Leopard will be out and have Bootcamp built into it.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Once Windows is installed and working you probably could. Like I said, I just don't think it's a good idea. To me a Mac is OSX. Take OSX away, I would just build my own box like I have in the past for less $$$ and more performance.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.