Cutting

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
G4 iBook
This is probably really stupid. But is there a way to 'cut' files? I have no issue copying, but in order to 'move' a file, I've always opened two finder windows and dragged the file.

If I select a file(s) and click 'edit' in the toolbar, 'cut' is not a possible options. Right clicking only gives me 'Copy'.

There must be an easier way..

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 15" 2.16Ghz Core Duo 1GB Ram 80GB
As said Here, just hold the command key while dragging and dropping the files.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Studio, M1 Max, 32 GB RAM, 2 TB SSD
If you are looking to cut n paste files within a single Finder window, a la CTL-X, CTL-V on Windows, this just isn't supported. Sometimes you can achieve a similar result by putting your Finder Window into list mode, and then dragging the file between folders that are also visible in the same window. This only works however when the destination folder is in near proximity to the source folder for the file. Other than that, it is two windows and drag.

You may wish to look at a Finder replacement for File Manager, perhaps a good two pane file manager where you have direct "move" vs. "copy" commands. I know that there are several of them out there. Can anyone suggest their favorite?

OP
J
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
G4 iBook
It's not like they've never thought about it though. 'Cut' is an option in the 'edit' menu, it's just never a possible option, is always blanked out.

Looks like 'mv' in terminal is the easiest way :/

rman

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14in MacBook Pro M1 Max 32GB 2TB
Here is the situation, drag and drop is a move (mv) operation when you are working on the same partition. When you are working woth two different partitions it, become a copy. I believe the reasoning for that is, if something happens during the operation, then you will not lose the original data. if something were to happen during a move operation, then your data would be corrupted.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.