Why does my mini keep cutting off?

D

danrel

Hello everyone,

I'm new to this site and was wondering if anyone could possibly help my situation. You see I am new to the Mac universe and am having a terrible problem with my mini. I've owned a mini 1.25GHz G4 for a little over a month now and for one reason or another it keeps cutting off for seemingly no reason. I do live in an older house with aluminum wiring, but I also use a decent UPS/ surge protector. I have to reset the PMU at least once every few minutes! I have heard that the logic boards go in minis very often, but if the logic board was fried wouldn't it just not work all together? I have upgraded the RAM from 512MB to 1GB, but I'm a seasoned PC builder and took every precaution necessary not to hard the mini due to static discharge, etc. If anyone could offer any insight into why this keeps occuring it would be most appreciated.

Thank you in advance!

-Den

rman

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14in MacBook Pro M1 Max 32GB 2TB
The only thing I can think of is remove the additional memory you installed. As you know this will rule out if it is the memory that is causing the problem. If the problem still exist, since the it is now in it default state. You have Apple check it out since you are still under waranty.

OP
D

danrel

I have removed the new memory and tried it with the original, but the problem still persists. I bought it second hand and the warrenty has since expired. I was thinking though that maybe it could possibly be the power brick itself not regulating the power as it should. Could that be a possibility? Other than that, I'll probably just bite the bullet and bring it down to the local Apple store.

Thanks

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
I would take it into an Apple Store. I have had my G4 1.25Ghz mini since the first month the Mini came out. Never a problem and I use it all the time. One of the most reliable systems I have ever owned.

Good Luck.

OP
D

danrel

I tried searching the forums but I got no results. I'm starting to think that I'm having this problem because of the power brick itself. I think that it isn't getting enough wattage so the PMU cutts it off. Has anyone ever had this problem before?

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.