Upgrading HD in Macbook

F

fluxy

I just recently purchased a 13inch Macbook and im looking at putting a larger HD in it. Does anyone have any suggestions on what HD would work best and has been tested? I would like to have at least 100 GB's of space with 7200 RPM's.

Reaction score
Up until recently, Hitachi was pretty much the only one making 7200 RPM laptop hard drives. I haven't heard any complaints about them.

Seagate has some that are 100GB and 7200 RPM, but they are a bit more pricey than the Hitachis from what I have seen.

I am sure either will work just fine.

OP
F

fluxy

Thanks!! Do you have a link that you can show me?

mynameis said:
Up until recently, Hitachi was pretty much the only one making 7200 RPM laptop hard drives. I haven't heard any complaints about them.

Seagate has some that are 100GB and 7200 RPM, but they are a bit more pricey than the Hitachis from what I have seen.

I am sure either will work just fine.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro M1 • iPhone 14 Pro • iPad Pro • iMac Retina 27"
For what it's worth, I'm avoiding the Hitachi drives mainly because these are the former IBM drives-- which had a horrible reputation as failing.

(I owned two IBM ThinkPads and while the machines were the most sturdy notebook PCs I ever used-- sorry, Apple-- the hard drives in both of them failed. We also had several IBM Blade servers in my company's datacenter, and the only things that failed regularly were the drives. Maybe the quality improved, but I am not willing to chance it. And sorry for the long parenthetical comment.)

You can find hard drives for your MacBook at OWC at eshop.macsales.com. Pretty good people to deal with.

Reaction score
IBM hard drives do have a bad rep, but those Hitachi laptop drive have been pretty solid.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook 1.83Ghz/512MB RAM
I think so too...it should be pretty hot to handle.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook 2.0GHz White, 512MB RAM, 60GB HDD
The IBM Death^WDeskStars had a bad rep for good reason. The Thinkpads tend to use Fujitsu drives, though, from what I've seen. Either way, any 7200RPM 2.5" SATA drive should work fine :)

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.