Problems (Sorry)

Reaction score
Sorry I have a feeling from reading around that this topic may have been beat into the ground. Right now I am contemplating two different laptops for school that starts this week. On one hand I have a Dell e1505. Loaded for what I need I can pick one up for about 650$ after stacked coupons and before 3 year extended warranty.

On the other hand I have a 2,300$ macbook pro. Without the warranty, benefits is it comes loaded how I want it and it will run my favorite OS in the world, OSX...plus from owning a prior G4 and G3 iBook I know that macs products are well built and last a long time, where as with the dell, I'd be lucky to keep it a year or so before needing repairs. (I kept my G3 without repairs up untill earlier this year)

My parents currently own almost the exact model of e1505 I am looking at and for not running OSX it's a great little laptop for a great low price. BUT we have had some minor issues with it, namely a failed harddrive that has died twice. Ended up being the mainboard, since that was replaced we haven't had any signs like we had before. I could also toss in alot of other stories about Dell from friends and family.

NOW, I've been doing alot of research on the web and have found a ton of problems with the first revs of the macbook pros. Some issues have been resolved by software and some were resolved by 'voiding the warranty'. Of the stuff I have been looking at I can't find a clear cut RECENT post stating that the latest revs have fixed the problems. Namely the heating problem, as my biggest complaint about my iBook was that when I played WoW or did any kind of intensive application, the left wrist rest area would heat up severely. From what I understand the way Apple is building the mbp results in EXTREMELY high temps even at idle. Now it's a fairly simple fix and from repairing PC's and laptops all my life I am fairly confident that I could do that fix and not leave any trace that I ever entered the system. If apple would do this for me, I would have no problems letting them reapply thermal paste if the current revs have not been fixed.

Maybe I'm not looking in the right places, but if someone could point me to where I could review the current (with the revs being sold as of today and beyond) line and it's problems, it would be much appreciated.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" 1.83ghz MBP/ 1.5gbRAM/ 250gb ext hdd/ 19" external display/ MX Laser mouse/ Sony w810 cell/
Personally, I'd pick the MBP, regardless of heat issues.

That said, having cracked open my own personal MBP to reapply the thermal paste, I can tell you, find that disassembly manual and follow it to the LETTER. You're going to wind up pulling EVERY screw in the lappy. It takes about a good 3 hours or so if you want to do it. Now, when I did mine, I DID notice a reduction in heat, but not enough I think, that its usable in my lap. It's still WAY too hot for that. That aside though, I usually dont use it in my lap, its on a cooler tray from Antech. 2 fans and its still hot ...

I dont know. I tried logic with the NW regional manager who was in store the day I came in with mine. I came all prepared, but they wouldnt budge.

I had an installation sheet from intel AND amd, both showing how to correctly apply thermal paste. I had the instructions from tomshardware.com, articsilver, all with pics, and all saying to lightly scrape it on with the edge of a razorblade.

Then I showed them the color manual from apple that somethingaweful.com had up for a while. (showing them their own internal document by the way, .... NOT a good way to get help!) When I asked them, why is it that intel, amd, artic silver, and everyone else in the world says to use just the tiniest drop, yet you guys spooged it on... clearly someone is wrong and someone is right, and I'm betting that its Intel thats right... so can you explain that?

There was lots of hemming and hawwing... lots of trying to wriggle out of responsibility for it. End result is that the store can only say what Apple lets them say. They show no signs of changing their policy. My concern is that in a year the heat will have done physical damage to the parts inside. That being the case I forked over the 250 for the applecare plan.

Hope that helps.
Bishop

OP
Dominion
Reaction score
Yea I plan on picking up the applecare for sure. Especially with the problems I've seen and heard and know first hand what heat damage can do to a computer. I guess best case scenario is to take it apart using ifixit's guide and reapply the paste. I recently moved and lost my work bench so now I'll have to find a new way to keep safe while I do it :p

What did you use to clean the paste? I've always used small amounts of 75 or 99% isopropyl but not sure if I want to after seeing exactly how much paste is (as you put it) spooged on.

I'd be getting the 2.16 ghz MBP with 2x512. The 2,200 one (after reduceing the price by making it 2x512 and edu discounts)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" 1.83ghz MBP/ 1.5gbRAM/ 250gb ext hdd/ 19" external display/ MX Laser mouse/ Sony w810 cell/
I used nail polish remover.. I think. I cant remember. But I got myself a couple of those lens rags from the eyeglass shop and used them to wipe them down. Anyways, just follow the ifixit guide and you should be fine. One thing though. I took the pages, printed them out, and as I went along, I scotch taped the screws to the individual steps along the way. That way theres ZERO margin for error.

OP
Dominion
Reaction score
Thats how I used to do laptop repair, except I never had manuals so I just drew diagrams as I went :D

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Nice... good luck with that. All I can say is this...I did it with a double edged safety razor.. (yeah, like grandpa used to shave with), and I wish I had put just a wee bit more on there as mine still does get exceedingly hot. I'm still waiting for apple to own up to the heat problem and come out with a working, viable solution.

OP
Dominion
Reaction score
Probably won't be for awhile yet =/

As to how much to put on I find that a drop the size of about half a pea will cover the core nicely. I've never used a razor but I usually use either a stiff business card or a credit card, Ive got an old bank card covered in silver compound :p

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.